Help to buy ISA as an (eventual) beneficiary

Options
Hi, I was wondering if people can help. I've had a read on related posts, and government documentation but I'm not really sure still.

I'm interested in opening a help to buy ISA before they stop being offered. I do not own a home and I have never bought one. However, I do note that if you are beneficiary of a trust you aren't eligible. What I'm not sure about is whether this applies in my case or not. My dad passed away last year. His property (including house) was put into trust, ultimately for me and my siblings, but only on the death of my mum (who is, touch wood(!) fit and well, thankfully). None of us are trustees - it is currently being managed by somebody else entirely. The situation is very complex at the moment and there is in fact a possibility that the trust will be dissolved and the property will simply pass to my mum directly. There are also significant debts attached to the estate which need to be settled, further complicating matters.

I assume that technically, I am therefore a beneficiary of a house? However in practice, I'm no more a beneficiary than anybody whose living parents own property and thus have the *potential* to one day inherit (I stress potential, because the financial situation is such that it is a significant possibility that there won't be an estate to inherit, in the case of my mums eventual passing). Therefore, am I technically still ineligible for such an ISA, or not?

Thoughts appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,279 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 November 2019 at 8:41PM
    Options
    From what you've written, you are not an ongoing beneficiary of the trust as you are not currently entitled to the income or assets of the trust, nor have you been in the past. So it seems to me that you are currently eligible for a HTB ISA.
  • AllTheAls
    Options
    Thank you, that's a great help.
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yep, after reading your situation I would say you're eligible to open one.
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport