50 something man seeking to save to retire before 60!

Options

Comments

• Mr_Costcutter
    Options
    Pleased everything is going well for you, CRV. Many people struggle once they have retired - can't find enough to fill their days - I don't think you will be one of them :).

What an afternoon I've had. Last week we had the chimney rebuilt, but at this moment in time there is no protection to prevent birds entering (the roofer is going to return next week to sort this matter). Anyway I was sat reading the paper, and low and behold, two jackdaws fell down our chimney! It was chaos as they were attacking each other. I managed to grab a cloth and took each bird outside. Just glad they didn't attack me lol.

Talking about Brexit, my local MP was doing a walkabout during the week (surprised he had the time lol) and asking various people their thoughts about Brexit. I'm in an area that voted to remain, but quite a number of people said that they had changed their mind and now wished to leave. Quite surprised by that as the media seems to have created an impression that the majority of people now wish to remain. Who knows? :). I think we are all probably quite weary with the whole business.
  • ManofLeisure_2
    Options

What an afternoon I've had. Last week we had the chimney rebuilt, but at this moment in time there is no protection to prevent birds entering (the roofer is going to return next week to sort this matter). Anyway I was sat reading the paper, and low and behold, two jackdaws fell down our chimney! It was chaos as they were attacking each other. I managed to grab a cloth and took each bird outside. Just glad they didn't attack me lol. .

A few years back a friend had a jackdaw's nest in his chimney. When the chimney was eventually swept, two black bin liners of debris was collected! Good job you were at home when the birds arrived - imagine the chaos they would have created had you been out. Glad both you and the birds came to no harm :).
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pleased everything is going well for you, CRV. Many people struggle once they have retired - can't find enough to fill their days - I don't think you will be one of them :).

What an afternoon I've had. Last week we had the chimney rebuilt, but at this moment in time there is no protection to prevent birds entering (the roofer is going to return next week to sort this matter). Anyway I was sat reading the paper, and low and behold, two jackdaws fell down our chimney! It was chaos as they were attacking each other. I managed to grab a cloth and took each bird outside. Just glad they didn't attack me lol.

Talking about Brexit, my local MP was doing a walkabout during the week (surprised he had the time lol) and asking various people their thoughts about Brexit. I'm in an area that voted to remain, but quite a number of people said that they had changed their mind and now wished to leave. Quite surprised by that as the media seems to have created an impression that the majority of people now wish to remain. Who knows? :). I think we are all probably quite weary with the whole business.

I suspect that I will find retirement busy as I do working- just my retirement hours will be filled doing what I want, rather than what someone else wants me to do. It does help that I like and enjoy what I do most of the time, a bit like out of work time, we all do tasks we would rather not. For me climbing in the pond cleaning it out is my least favourite none work related task! But it has to be done periodically.

Lucky with the Jackdaws- they can be vicious as well as strong!

Brexit- I'm not sure we'll ever leave!
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • crv1963
    Options
    Quick update I went for coffee yesterday with a couple of former colleagues, me on a day off, one on holiday and one retired end of January.

The two of us still working discussed a few of the operational difficulties we have at the moment, but what I took away from this was that I am glad I am back working shifts-even with the commute- rather than 9-5, M-F. The stress levels and concerns seem to have worsened rather than improved with changes that have been made to the Team structure and function. These were made to improve things!

Our former colleague who has retired told us about his experience so far-

i) He and his wife don't need to rush around fitting everything in at the weekends, so pace things they want to do over the week.
    ii) Having updated their house whilst he was working he spends his time enjoying his garden, dogs, hens and veg patch.
    iii) They are free to pursue interests- his wife has taken a part time post at a local historic landmark and after some training is looking after historic artifacts/ helping prepare exhibitions/ explains some of the significance to visitors there. She is able to do this because with their pension she can afford to earn the minimum wage now.
    iv) They can just take off to the Northumberland beaches whenever they want with their dogs.
    v) Money is nowhere near as tight as he feared, and the best part for him is having no mortgage- finished paying it with his TFLS, once SP starts in around 5 years they will have more coming in than they did when earning full time wages.

Our colleague in my old Team discussed that at 53 she has 14 years to go. She asked about planning to leave around 60. We spent time looking at earnings/ savings rates and places to save- being on a National Payscale means we all know what each other earns! She came away with a plan to start a SIPP, partly with a small inheritance and then a monthly contribution, she like me works additional shifts, like me she is going to put a minimum of one per month into her SIPP. She can see that she can and now plans to go by 60. She even set her target date as Dec 2025- age 59!

We had a look at our savings rate, and I'm going to try to up this from our current 18-20% earnings to 25%. Belt tightening I think! I'm going to stop buying prepared fruit for work in the plastic pots and take a few minutes to do fruit before I go to work along with my sandwiches. Along with trying to reduce my "bargain buys".

Have made my final purchases for Mrs CRV birthday next week and from now on it is needed items only- already got my sisters birthday presents- August and October and have got quite a few Christmas presents- bottles of spirits on special offer in the Supermarkets, this will continue so come November all I will have to do is the wrapping up!

Mr Costcutter- has the chimney been finished?

Bugslett- 6 operational days to go now? Did you decide to keep the youngest van?

Mr APIJI- how's the recovery coming along?

Best wishes everyone, I'm back for a weekend of night shifts for Easter! Starting this evening.
  • Mr_Costcutter
    Options
    Happy Easter to All who visit :)

CRV, yes the chimney is complete and those jackdaws have departed. We've now put our property 'on the market' and so are grateful they've gone :).

Yes, I agree with your former colleague with respect to no longer having to rush around in order to get everything done - it's a real bonus. It's also wonderful to be able to be 'spontaneous' and to enjoy days doing very little if one wishes :).

Hope you've all been enjoying this wonderful weather.
  • bugslett
    bugslett Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    Oh yes 6 more operational days, - well done for remembering!

Mr Bugs built a belter of a garage some years ago, proper brick structure at the end of the garden ( I live on a corner, so it's accessed from the side road). It needs windows and a new door, but I'm thinking of getting it boarded out and turning it into a place to do some dressmaking and a mini gym ( don't hold me to the latter!). It's good to have a shed/converted building to pursue hobbies, it makes you feel that you aren't just at home IYKWIM.

Now I thought 140.00 p.m. was not too bad for his age. I think once he gets to 25 it should go down a bit.

Well done on introducing your colleagues to the idea that they can shave a few years off their working life if they want to. Just having the choice makes the world of difference. I've been nagging/constructively advising the mid-30s mechanic next door about the state of his retirement plans, aka work till he drops because he has no choice.

I'd not like to think of two birds falling down the chimney as it would be two birds attacking each other and three dogs trying to catch them:eek: :rotfl:

I just find that whole fruit suits me - apple, kiwi, some grapes, banana. I will buy things like mandarin prepared because citrus can be messy.

As a complete generalisation, both in the public and the private sector, it seems the very things that are supposed to make life better for an employee, often prove to be more stressful. Years ago I read an article about how the idea that the businessman/top manager has the stress and therefore more likely to suffer a heart attack was wrong - it was more likely to be people who had no control over their jobs and I think that idea of lack of control is important. Work has become in many ways more rigid, more monitored and often narrower in scope and it's no fun. I pay a decent wage in my industry but given what they have to do for it and the very anti-social hours and time spent bored on ferrys it doesn't seem a lot some times, however what I do offer is a lot of control. Apart from routes that have to be given in advance to various agencies, we let them plan their own routes, we discuss new projects with them, we trust them to make decisions out on the road with the office as a safety net. I find that people step up if you give them responsibility and it increases their enjoyment. Jut my thoughts on work stress!

I expect to feel a bit at sea once I finally finish work - May will be clearing the warehouse and settling accounts, getting money in, but that is normal. I'm allowing myself a few months over the summer to feel my way around and see what appeals the most.

Hope your weekend of night shifts passed quickly crv!
    Yes I'm bugslet, I lost my original log in details and old e-mail address.
  • crv1963
    Options
    bugslett wrote: »

Mr Bugs built a belter of a garage some years ago, proper brick structure at the end of the garden ( I live on a corner, so it's accessed from the side road). It needs windows and a new door, but I'm thinking of getting it boarded out and turning it into a place to do some dressmaking and a mini gym ( don't hold me to the latter!). It's good to have a shed/converted building to pursue hobbies, it makes you feel that you aren't just at home IYKWIM.

Now I thought 140.00 p.m. was not too bad for his age. I think once he gets to 25 it should go down a bit.

Well done on introducing your colleagues to the idea that they can shave a few years off their working life if they want to. Just having the choice makes the world of difference. I've been nagging/constructively advising the mid-30s mechanic next door about the state of his retirement plans, aka work till he drops because he has no choice.

As a complete generalisation, both in the public and the private sector, it seems the very things that are supposed to make life better for an employee, often prove to be more stressful.

I expect to feel a bit at sea once I finally finish work - May will be clearing the warehouse and settling accounts, getting money in, but that is normal. I'm allowing myself a few months over the summer to feel my way around and see what appeals the most.

Hope your weekend of night shifts passed quickly crv!

So you are having a "she-cave!". Mrs CRV is planning to replace the conservatory with an extension - currently it iis either too hot or too cold to use- so she has a room for her dressmaking/ quilting, and if current ideas are followed a 8 ft marine tank for cultivating corals.

I'm going to start preparations for getting my new shed on my next days off. I have to erect some form of temporary fencing to stop our dogs- the border collie specifically from getting out as the current shed forms part of the fencing in/ enclosing of our garden. Luckily it doesn't need to look very pleasing because it will come down when the new shed goes up. When that is up I intend to make some made to measure trellis work fencing to tie it all in neatly.

I'm sure the 140 pm insurance is the best he could get for his age I just recall paying 270 pa fully comp for my first car!

I've always kept my ideas to myself regarding retirement unless asked, now it is approaching others are asking me, specifically around how we're sorting Mrs CRV pension, as they know she isn't NHS but still going at 55. Luckily both my boys have started now in their early 20s with a plan to go by the time they are 60- youngest suspects retirement age for his SP will be 70, and that's why the LISA is not accessible until you're 60.

Good for you Bugslet for trying to help your neighbour with his plans, my former colleague said even if she felt she couldn't retire at 60, at least she'll have the funds for some "fantastic long haul travel and part time hours!"

Some changes are for the good, but often it seems they are for the benefit of commissioners in my work area, but the NHS has been in a state of change since it started so I don't imagine that will ever change. I think life is easier if you accept that change is constant.

I think playing it by ear over the summer is a good idea, at least having some things to do and dogs to exercise gives structure to the day. No need to rush decisions.

Easter nights passed by quickly, lots of southbound traffic on my journey home- a lot of people heading for the coast, Whitby a popular choice.

I've swapped my two day shifts this week for two nights at a colleague request so I'm back tonight and tomorrow and then off for 6 days. Given I'll probably sleep most of my first day off that means 5 days for the garden.

Mrs CRV birthday went well yesterday- me gardening, she sorting one of the tanks out. Presents went down well, and I cooked a decent meal, well in reality warmed it up as I bought a Tesco "meal for 2 for £10".
  • MrAPJI
    MrAPJI Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bugslett, guess you really are on the count down now. The time seems to have whizzed by since you told us about your decision to retire. Once you're actually there it will go even quicker :).

CRV, I'm not too bad thanks but I've had quite a problem with my neck. Tremendous dizziness when moving my head as a consequence of tight neck muscles. Since having physio things have started to improve though - touch wood! My cat is also ailing and about to go into the animal hospital for some investigations. He seems to have developed a very strange walk and sometimes his left leg gives way completely. The suspicion is that it could be neurological - we will have to see.

Glad Mrs CRV enjoyed her birthday :)

MR C, good luck with your house sale. Have you decided where you would like to move to?

Best wishes to all who visit.
  • thriftytracey
    Options
    Today I am giving in my notice at work to retire. Feeling nervous and excited and hoping that with accrued holiday this year to date my notice period will be short!

First day of the rest of my life.
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Today I am giving in my notice at work to retire. Feeling nervous and excited and hoping that with accrued holiday this year to date my notice period will be short!

First day of the rest of my life.

Fantastic, congratulations :T:T:T.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback