Safestyle UK - Bad experiences?

Options
Hi everyone
I just wondered if anyone else had had a bad experience with Safestyle UK and what action they took?
This one concerns my Mum but sadly nothing I can do legally

She lives on her own and said she was getting calls from Safestyle UK to try and sell her windows. I told her to tell them to go away and assumed all was good until my brother went to visit her and told me Safestyle UK had done most of the windows and back door.

The reason we were angry is because their sales guy properly turned her over
1. The backdoor alone cost £2300 and a £75 survey fee. I had French doors done for £1K so I know this is a rip off cost. Survey fee?
2. The fitter did such a bad job of fitting the door that it didn't lock but persuaded my Mum that this was 'usual for new doors'. My brother has since sorted this with Safestyle
3. There was nothing wrong with her old door but the salesman told her that 'doors needed to be replaced after 8 years'

Yes she has been gullible, turned over by their salesman etc and I've contacted Safestyle twice myself about it and heard nothing back so far

Just wondered if anyone else had a similar experience. My Mum of course is now completely skint, all life savings gone but i bet their Sale guy still keeps calling her

Thank you

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'd never use them on the basis that a few years ago in a previous house I asked them round for a quote. They didn't turn up, and when I asked them why it was "because I had indicated I wouldn't be signing on the night but would discuss with Mrs. Sleazy".

I made another appointment and .... they didn't turn up again, so business went elsewhere.
  • HillyBilly00
    Options
    Oh gees! That's rubbish!

My Mum seems to have had the opposite problem and can't keep their Sales Guy away!

Might be because she is an elderly lady with early signs of dementia, I don't know
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We had all of our windows and doors replaced about 6 years ago by a local well-regarded firm. No survey needed, doors were £600 each and windows also averaged out at £600 each. Didn't contact Safestyle for an estimate as their VERY irritating tv advert alone was enough to put us off!

£2300 for a back door! I'd be on to Trading Standards first thing tomorrow morning.
  • HillyBilly00
    Options
    Thank you. I have given them a chance to respond but nothing so far. I wanted to know what was so special about the door
  • Cyclamen
    Cyclamen Posts: 645 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had them out for a quote and couldn'ts top them calling for almost two years afterwards.

Before giving them my address and phone number they promised they would contact me once with a written quote and not keep hassling me.. yes i took them at their word, foolish of me.

The salesman was very pushy; at the time I lived alone in an obviously adapted bungalow and have lots of clues that i'm 'quite poorly' and vulnerable. I asked him to leave after he'd measured up as agreed and he wouldn't go until he'd finished his pitch. He kept asking me to sign things and was standing over me. Mobility prevented me standing also.

The phone calls kept coming almost every week and despite asking, insisting and telling them another company had done the work they kept ringing.

It took my partner who was not on the scene at the start and had since moved in to phone the area manager and then head office and get very insistent on the phone before they stopped calling.

I am not a push over, I can usually stand my ground but they were incredibly persistent and I can see why someone would sign just to get them to leave.

We have slowly been doing our other windows and I have kept to local companies since as they feel safer and as they advertise no hassle quotes etc.
  • HillyBilly00
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your experience. My Mum has got the pushy treatment. I've asked them to stop bugging her now they've mugged her but I doubt they will listen
  • Intenso
    Intenso Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My Mum passed away in May :( and left me the house.

Windows fitted by Safestyle are all ill fitted bar the large patio doors. One of the windows really needs to have the frame reset its so bad.

I could never recommend them to anyone.
  • HillyBilly00
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your Mum.

Flip, you had a bad fit as well then from them
  • Chanes
    Chanes Posts: 882 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I tell my Mother anyone who wants to sell anything must talk to me because I have power of attorney. She doesn't have a problem with sales people.
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    Also took me over 6 months to get them to stop calling after we made the mistake of inviting them over. Sales pitch was aggressive, with all the usual tactics. Ridiculous opening price, calls to the manager, we can use you in our advertising etc. Don't touch with a barge pole.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback