Can I cancel my Virgin broadband deal early without penalty fees?

Options
Hi All,
So I am currently around 4 months into my Virgin Media broadband contract on a discounted/promotional offer. I had a letter stating that my bill would increased by £3 at the end of my promotional period. However it said I could cancel my contract without penalty fees. I have since called Virgin and they said I would have to pay penalty fees because I am on a promotional offer and not close to my contract ending. Is this correct? Can I cancel my Virgin broadband deal early without penalty fees?
Regards,
Mark Pomeroy

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 September 2018 at 12:24PM
    Options
    No, you can't cancel as you're not being materially affected within the minimum term of your contract. Obviously once out of minimum term you're free to do what you want. To be honest I'd have thought that the above was obvious.

Edit: Of course you may have missed this rise but don't worry, another will be along shortly.
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    Edit: Of course you may have missed this rise but don't worry, another will be along shortly.
    :rotfl:
    It's the way you tell 'em.
    It's also the VM business model. Everybody is either on a promo deal, a retention deal, or paying way over the odds. If you are paying way over the odds a call will quickly get you on a retention deal along with a new minimum term.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yeap you know summer is over when the vm rise letter hit the door
    Matt (or inbox this year )
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes if they increase the prices above the rate of inflation. You then have 30 days to notify them and change supplier although you could spend 29 days searching providers then 14 days plus for the changeover. Works a treat when inflation is low and they put prices up by more than the 1% or less they don't want pennies from you they want pounds.
    Someone please tell me what money is
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I know the mobile contract has the Rpi clause.

Didn’t know broadband does
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport