Ridiculous call charge after calling Sky to upgrade

Options
Hi Guys, I just wanted to get your opinion and also warn others of my experience when trying to upgrade my Sky broadband.

On the 29/08 I attempted to upgrade my broadband online through my Sky account but was presented with a page which advised:

Unable to proceed
Unfortunately we are unable to show your exclusive offers available online. To continue or for more information, please call 08442 411 818.
jFoORe

I called this number and was on the phone for approximately 57 minutes which has cost me over £35! I understand that the charges are set by my mobile provider, yet I feel that Sky is negligent and misleading in only advertising this particular number on this error page without a warning of the potential cost. As a paying customer wishing to 'Upgrade' my services, thus increasing the amount I pay to them, I am absolutely shocked and disgusted by this.

After the call, I did look up the call charge which was 7p per minute (fine I thought, around £4, still steep but i could accept that) only to then receive a bill for £35.29p!!! It seems Three mobile charge an access charge of 55p per minute!! How is this warranted?

Is there anything I can do about this? Are Sky liable in anyway as they only gave me that number to call to upgrade? It feels like they have deliberately mislead me by showing only this number, I know now there are other numbers to call. I also feel that I may have been deliberately kept on the call longer than required to increase this charge (maybe not but it is in the back of my mind).

Any help or advice would be most welcome.

Regards
D
Total Debt as of Sep 06 - £22 978 :eek:

1st Milestone - Pay off HSBC CC £535.00 to go.

Debt Free Date - Feb 2009 :j

Comments

• jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    First of all, did you upgrade? If you did it may be easier to get this sorted in your favor because you'd have a cooling off period.

If I were you, I'd call and register my disatisfaction and make a complaint verbally and see if anyone at Sky could see sense on this. If not then take it one step further- an official complaint with a clear statement of what the problem is, your not being aware of the call charges because all of Sky's other calls are free to make as a Sky customer and then what you would like to happen as a result of this complaint and a time limit to when you expect to have heard back from them.

It could be there is a better way of doing things, but this is how I would handle it.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Sorry, but you should have looked up the cost of calling an 0844 number before making the call. The information is readily available.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What are the call charges if using landline?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Call costs when contacting Sky
    All calls to Sky contact centres are free for Sky Talk and Sky Mobile customers.

03 numbers – If you aren't with Sky Talk or Sky Mobile, charges may apply, check your provider’s tariff guide.

08 numbers – There’s an access charge your phone provider will charge you (varies by provider), and the rest of the call charge that costs 7p per minute.

0800 and 0808 (Freephone) – These are free from both landlines and mobile phones.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/call-costs-when-contacting-sky

It's Three you need to take umbrage with (and to a lesser extent yourself).

It's not the most difficult thing in the world to check for a cheaper number nowadays, you should have been using the 03300 413 000 number which if you have an allowance would have cost nothing.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did the Sky site have any charge advice with the 0844 number, companys normally put something like 'calls cost 7p/m plus your phone providers access charge, calling from a mobile may cost more' if this disclaimer is on the website,you may have no comeback, if there is no disclaimer , you may have a case.
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 September 2018 at 10:44PM
    Options
    The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 came into force on 13 June 2014. Regulation 41 has made it illegal for existing customers to be offered premium rate numbers starting 084, 087 or 09 for contact to discuss an existing product or service. In case of non-compliance, the regulations require the call charges to be refunded. See: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/3134/regulation/41/made

Sky supposedly changed their premium rate 0844 numbers over to the exactly matching 0344 numbers to comply with the regulations but have this daft policy where they provide an 0344 number for downgrades and cancellations and an 0844 number for upgrades. This would appear to be non-compliant.

Complain to Sky, quoting Regulation 41, and ask for a refund of the call charges. Complain to the Citizen's Advice national Consumer Helpline, either via their online form or by calling 0345 404 0506, so they can escalate this issue to Trading Standards. This needs to be settled properly through the official channels.

You may also wish to alert You and Yours, Watchdog or other similar consumer programmes.

Your complaint is with Sky for using a premium rate number. Three have done nothing wrong - they charged a premium rate number at premium rates. The Access Charge is the same rate for all numbers starting 084, 087, 09 and 118 and Three's Access Charge at 55p per minute is the same rate as Vodafone, EE and O2. Virgin Mobile is more expensive and charges 58p per minute plus Service Charge. Landlines are usually around 10p to 15p per minute plus Service Charge.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Interesting. But technically I wouldn't be certain that Sky are in breach of the Regulations.

"41.—(1) Where a trader operates a telephone line for the purpose of consumers contacting the trader by telephone in relation to contracts entered into with the trader, a consumer contacting the trader must not be bound to pay more than the basic rate."

Sky may argue that OP was not contacting them in relation to a contract that they had already entered into, but in relation to a potential new contract.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 23 September 2018 at 9:54AM
    Options
    To muddy matters further, that number is for existing customers and I understand it to be free when using your Sky provided line
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sky have clearly breached the spirit of the regulations and likely the letter. Ultimately this may neeed to be tested in the courts, which is why Trading Standards need to be made aware of the issue.
  • Trout69
    Options
    Apologies for the delayed response, I have attached an image of the error page I was shown when trying to upgrade online. There is no mention of call charges, or an offering of other numbers, hence why I called this particular number. It is insinuated that this is the number to call regarding this error.

sky.png

This is surely misleading?
    Total Debt as of Sep 06 - £22 978 :eek:

1st Milestone - Pay off HSBC CC £535.00 to go.

Debt Free Date - Feb 2009 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport