Charged for sending a payment

Options
2»

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Regardless of what has been found about the Lloyds CHAPS fee I can't see that this can be anything else, there is no other type of personal customer electronic payment for which a charge is made. I would be surprised if he wasn't told this when requesting the payment in the branch but he may well not have understood what a CHAPS payment is. If he asked for a Faster Payment but also said the money had to be there the same day then CHAPS is the only way to guarantee that (and even then it has to be done before the cut off time).

The suggestion to withdraw cash and deposit it at the ::'s bank might have worked, but could face two problems: the withdrawal of that amount might not have been allowed without booking in advance, and payment of cash into someone else's account is very likely to be prohibited.
  • OceanSound
    OceanSound Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 16 August 2018 at 10:01AM
    Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't told about the charge. It is lloyds we are talking about.

BTW: I've withdrawn over £1200 without any notice before. Also, managed to deposit over that amount to another persons account.
    Of course, your mileage may vary. Depending on a lot of factors. e.g. if the branch is short on cash, or if you get a snotty staff member etc.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    A lot of banks have recently introduced rules that mean you are prohibited from paying in cash to another person's account.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    To answer your specific question, a faster payment (done by internet banking, telephone banking or visiting the branch) is free at Lloyds.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OceanSound wrote: »
    If the payment method attracted a fee, branch staff should have asked him if it was okay to pay using that method.
    If this was me, I would have withdrawn the money at branch and gone and deposited it personally to the landlords bank. Cash deposits are credited to the account immediately!

Absolutely, I have nothing to do with our branch network or anything to do with money and bank accounts, I, as do all staff have to take an annual course that tells all staff no matter what their role we must inform customers of all costs and time-scales when sending money.

If the OP's Son wasn't informed I would revisit the branch and politely ask if if something has gone wrong. If an error has been made he will be refunded. Faster payments are free but Chaps are paid for.
  • OceanSound
    Options
    18cc wrote: »
    A lot of banks have recently introduced rules that mean you are prohibited from paying in cash to another person's account.
    Santander, Nationwide and Barclays are some that have this blanket 'rule'.

Lloyds, Halifax, Metro Bank don't have it.

Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS), NatWest, HSBC and TSB don't have it and have even said they have no plans to change it. See: https://www.which.co.uk/news/2018/05/has-your-bank-banned-other-people-from-paying-cash-into-your-account/

Seems for Natwest you need to have a paying in slip of account holder, whereas Barclays will allow it if you provide proof of ID or answering security questions (if you the depositor already bank with them).

Here are my sources:
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-5664429/Why-wont-Nationwide-Building-Society-let-pay-cash-counter-party-accounts.html
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5588045/Family-members-blocked-paying-cash-accounts.html
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    Santander, Nationwide and Barclays are some that have this blanket 'rule'.

Lloyds, Halifax, Metro Bank don't have it.

Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS), NatWest, HSBC and TSB don't have it and have even said they have no plans to change it. See: https://www.which.co.uk/news/2018/05/has-your-bank-banned-other-people-from-paying-cash-into-your-account/

Seems for Natwest you need to have a paying in slip of account holder, whereas Barclays will allow it if you provide proof of ID or answering security questions (if you the depositor already bank with them).

Here are my sources:
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-5664429/Why-wont-Nationwide-Building-Society-let-pay-cash-counter-party-accounts.html
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5588045/Family-members-blocked-paying-cash-accounts.html

I'm afraid that you are wrong about HSBC. (I haven't bothered checking all of the other banks). HSBC's terms and conditions are being updated on 31st October. It will no longer possible for someone other than the account holder to pay cash into an account in branch.
    In future, we won’t be able to accept a cash payment from anyone but the account holder over the counter at HSBC branches. We’ll update our terms to reflect that.

Source: e-mail to HSBC customers (rather than The Daily Mail ;) )
  • OceanSound
    Options
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    I'm afraid that you are wrong about HSBC...
    Not quite!, my calendar says today is 19 August 2018 (not 31 October) and I (like many other folks) are living in the 'now'.
    ...(I haven't bothered checking all of the other banks).
    If you do ever bother, make sure you check both future plans and how it is now! (anyway!, HSBC has gone back on their word here!)
    Source: e-mail to HSBC customers (rather than The Daily Mail ;) )
    the quote about HSBC was from 'Which?' magazine. not the Daily Mail. Get it right. :p
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    Not quite!, my calendar says today is 19 August 2018 (not 31 October) and I (like many other folks) are living in the 'now'.

If you do ever bother, make sure you check both future plans and how it is now! (anyway!, HSBC has gone back on their word here!)

the quote about HSBC was from 'Which?' magazine. not the Daily Mail. Get it right. :p

How sad that you are so desperate to be right.

And you did refer to the Daily Mail as a source:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family