New home has 47kg x4 lpg bottles

Options
Hi all, new to the forum and was looking for some advice. After googling I'm even more lost, I will be moving into a new home in a few weeks and it runs off 4x lpg 47kg bottles, which I presume work in pairs with a switch-over when empty.

Am I right in thinking when two are empty you pay roughly £50 per bottle to be replaced and new ones fitted?

Secondly heating and hot water, is it cheaper to leave hot water on constant all day or just heat it when required?

And does anyone have a 2 bedroom property know how long they last before requiring a replacement bottle/pair?

Many Thanks. :j

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I will be moving into a new home in a few weeks
    The time to consider this was before deciding to move in.

I can't answer the price question, or how long tey'll last, but ersonally I'd have costed out switching to another energy source!

As for how long to keep the hot water on for, that is nothing to do with the energy source - the answer is the same whether using electric, gas, oil or ..... whatever.

To some extent it depends on your usage. Are you at home all day, and using hot water al day? Or just need a quick hot showr when you get home at night, or what?

As a generalisation though, heating a cylinder of hot water that is not required, and will cool down and then need re-heating, just to cool down again, is wasteful.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    As a generalisation though, heating a cylinder of hot water that is not required, and will cool down and then need re-heating, just to cool down again, is wasteful.

But then again, keeping a cylinder of water hot all day when you don't need it will lose even more heat than letting it cool down (see Newton's Law of Cooling).
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure