eBay Hermes postal mystery...

Options
I sold an item on eBay and posted it using eBay's Hermes service.

It shows on my account as delivered. It was even signed for.

My buyer got in touch and opened a case: he doesn't have it and the scribble of a signature is not his.

I phoned eBay customer services. Explained all. Ebay tells me I have fulfilled my seller obligations. Nothing more I need do except add the tracking no. to the case.

But I get in touch with Hermes via webchat somewhere in India. They will pass it to their investigations team and respond within 48hrs.

In less than 24hrs I got an email with this vague comment:
"We are sorry to inform you that this parcel has been deemed lost. We have tried to locate the whereabouts of the parcel by contacting the courier and their manager, however, were unsuccessful."

I really doubt anyone spoke to the courier or his manager. They can post to the wrong house or even keep the packet. It's a sham investigation I suspect.:mad:

Comments

• Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    At least now Hermes will refund you and you can refund the buyer, so what's the issue?
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,791 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would be careful. Webchat seem to be very quick to deem a parcel as lot. However when you make a claim it is a very different team who will investigate it fully rather than just looking at the tracking which webchat appear to do.

I have had about 5 people (out of 1000's of parcels) claim non delivery when it shows delivered. Once it gets to the investigation stage, all 5 have suddenly discovered it was delivered when tracking shows.

I have also had a parcel not get any further than the main hub for three weeks. After speaking to webchat informing me it was lost, I refunded the buyer through the case they had opened. I put it in a claim for lost parcel and it was delivered two weeks later and the claim closed.

So really I would wait and get your compensation from My Hermes before refunding. If the buyer opened a case, then they will lose as the tracking shows delivered.
  • F&L
    F&L Posts: 570 Forumite
    Options
    I would agree with the above. I've raised a handful of cases with Hermes and every time they've come back with a generic reply about it having been delivered successfully. The buyers have always gone away once I've advised that Hermes tracking shows successful delivery but plenty of buyers try it on.

You say your buyer has opened a case - they will lose due to the delivery confirmation you have. By all means pursue Hermes if you believe your buyer. You can often tell by their communications whether they're genuine or not.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ANNA wrote: »
    I sold an item on eBay and posted it using eBay's Hermes service.

It shows on my account as delivered. It was even signed for.

My buyer got in touch and opened a case: he doesn't have it and the scribble of a signature is not his.

I phoned eBay customer services. Explained all. Ebay tells me I have fulfilled my seller obligations. Nothing more I need do except add the tracking no. to the case.

But I get in touch with Hermes
    via webchat somewhere in India. They will pass it to their investigations team and respond within 48hrs.

In less than 24hrs I got an email with this vague comment:
    "We are sorry to inform you that this parcel has been deemed lost. We have tried to locate the whereabouts of the parcel by contacting the courier and their manager, however, were unsuccessful."

I really doubt anyone spoke to the courier or his manager. They can post to the wrong house or even keep the packet. It's a sham investigation I suspect.:mad:

I am mystified in the extreme; having been told you need to add Tracking number and nothing else, why did you then contact Hermes?
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • mrcol1000
    Options
    mgdavid wrote: »
    I am mystified in the extreme; having been told you need to add Tracking number and nothing else, why did you then contact Hermes?

Well you might want to make sure you are sitting for this so the shock doesn't knock you over. But some sellers will do more than they need to help buyers out. I know it is crazy but apparently it does occasionally happen.
  • Carer
    Carer Posts: 296 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I was on the receiving end of this just this week. Was expecting a parcel from Ebay at work but it didn't arrive (there was someone in the office at all times).
    When I checked the tracking it said "delivered to reception". It definitely wasn't!
    I tried almost all the other business in the Industrial estate and then gave up. I knew that because tracking was showing as delivered there was no point contacting the seller, so I don't necessarily believe that those who said it didn't arrive were lying or trying it on, maybe they just realised they had no hope of a refund the same as I did.

We buy an awful lot of supplies from Ebay for work but I won't buy from any seller again who uses Hermes.
  • mrcol1000
    Options
    Carer wrote: »
    I was on the receiving end of this just this week. Was expecting a parcel from Ebay at work but it didn't arrive (there was someone in the office at all times).
    When I checked the tracking it said "delivered to reception". It definitely wasn't!
    I tried almost all the other business in the Industrial estate and then gave up. I knew that because tracking was showing as delivered there was no point contacting the seller, so I don't necessarily believe that those who said it didn't arrive were lying or trying it on, maybe they just realised they had no hope of a refund the same as I did.

We buy an awful lot of supplies from Ebay for work but I won't buy from any seller again who uses Hermes.

So instead of asking the seller who may be able to get more information on where it was delivered, you are just going to write it off and never use anyone who uses Hermes? That is a brilliant idea and in no way will massively restrict who you can buy from.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How can you tell who the carrier is going to be? Economy delivery could be Hermes or RM 2nd class or many others.
  • kev25v6
    kev25v6 Posts: 235 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yodel signed a parcel as delivered to another house in my street where the guy is not in till gone 10pm so couldn!!!8217;t have dropped it there. The eBay seller is a complete waste of time, Yodel only deal with the seller who won!!!8217;t help so the only way is a PayPal claim back. It!!!8217;s no good getting a signature from the wrong address and saying it!!!8217;s now not their problem. Until you get a signature from the buyer it!!!8217;s the sellers problem to refund/replace and then claim back from the courier.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    kev25v6 wrote: »
    Yodel signed a parcel as delivered to another house in my street where the guy is not in till gone 10pm so couldn!!!8217;t have dropped it there. The eBay seller is a complete waste of time, Yodel only deal with the seller who won!!!8217;t help so the only way is a PayPal claim back. It!!!8217;s no good getting a signature from the wrong address and saying it!!!8217;s now not their problem. Until you get a signature from the buyer it!!!8217;s the sellers problem to refund/replace and then claim back from the courier.

I can't decipher that easily but if you are the buyer and the tracking shows delivery, you won't win a PayPal claim. No signature is required under £750, just a proof of delivery.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure