Being messed about by StepChange, looking for TRUSTWORTHY alternatives

Options
Hi, I've been looking in to getting a DRO and decided to go with StepChange. I filled in the form on the website, got a ref. number, downloaded the form, but I had a couple of questions that needed answering before I sent in the form - basic questions anyone might ask, nothing at all to do with personal circumstances or anything unique to my situation.

It took them almost 2 MONTHS to reply to my email, and all they did were ignore my questions and ask for personal details (full name, full address, DOB) - Whilst I fully understand this information is essential to my application, I haven't even applied yet, I needed them to answer my questions before I even do that. The questions simply related to how to fill the form in if returning iit by email rather than post (as they say is possible on the website and form itself).

Could any one suggest a trustworthy alternative to StepChange? This has really soured me on using them since not only do they ignore even the simplest of queries, they refuse to answer my simple questions which makes me question their trustworthiness. I certainly don't email my full personal details over to anyone without a good reason.

Comments

• Annie35
    Annie35 Posts: 385 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    There's a list on the sticky thread here https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4227993 . It's a bit old but could give you some reading to get started.

I'm sure someone will recommend a service they used personally shortly.
  • Clouds88
    Clouds88 Posts: 386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We used payplan for my husband but it took a good 6 months front start to being submitted. Much much slower than bankruptcy
  • Super_Trouper
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions, happy to hear of others also.
    I'm checking out the sticky thread, thanks Annie.
  • Twubble
    Twubble Posts: 80 Forumite
    Options
    Stepchange and CAB are the biggest. Could you not have rang them rather than emailing them? They had the live chat on their site as well last time I looked. Why can you not send the forms by post? It's not difficult.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I don't think you can beat face-to-face with an adviser who works local to where you live.

I've seen a few applications recently that dragged on interminably. Seven months for a CAB case farmed out to the MAS DRO Unit. I think National Debtline are using them too.

The complete list of Competent Authorities is in this document

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/getting-a-debt-relief-order/getting-a-debt-relief-order

but it's a case of looking around and seeing what is available to you
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I'm disappointed to hear this. I used StepChange to apply for my DRO and they couldn't have been more efficient or effective. I did phone them though, and that seems to be the way forward. You can't really get anywhere online. I had an initial chat with someone who helped me straightaway, put my mind at ease and told me I was eligible to apply for a DRO.

My advice, phone them first. Even if you want to try another alternative. I have to say that StepChange IS trustworthy. I am out the other side now - six and a half long years later! - but it was worth it and I am so grateful to StepChange.

No good trying to do something this important online, all their advisers are on the phone.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • Super_Trouper
    Super_Trouper Posts: 928 Forumite
    edited 13 March 2019 at 1:25PM
    Options
    Twubble wrote: »
    Stepchange and CAB are the biggest. Could you not have rang them rather than emailing them? They had the live chat on their site as well last time I looked. Why can you not send the forms by post? It's not difficult.
    I don't have a printer so it's actually a lot more difficult.

MalMonroe wrote: »
    I'm disappointed to hear this. I used StepChange to apply for my DRO and they couldn't have been more efficient or effective. I did phone them though, and that seems to be the way forward. You can't really get anywhere online. I had an initial chat with someone who helped me straightaway, put my mind at ease and told me I was eligible to apply for a DRO.

My advice, phone them first. Even if you want to try another alternative. I have to say that StepChange IS trustworthy. I am out the other side now - six and a half long years later! - but it was worth it and I am so grateful to StepChange.

No good trying to do something this important online, all their advisers are on the phone.
    I have one huge problem with doing anything financial over the phone: PROOF.

If you write or email, you have written evidence of what has been agreed. If you telephone it is only a verbal agreement and many times the agent on the other end refuse to give their full details, so even if you did want to refer back to something they said, you're not able to and it becomes a "your word against theirs" situation, of which you can never win because they are a faceless organisation and hold all the power.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    What exactly do you want to know about a DRO as I can help ?

Stepchange are extremely busy due to a massive surge in demand for there service.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't have a printer so it's actually a lot more difficult.

I have one huge problem with doing anything financial over the phone: PROOF.

If you write or email, you have written evidence of what has been agreed. If you telephone it is only a verbal agreement and many times the agent on the other end refuse to give their full details, so even if you did want to refer back to something they said, you're not able to and it becomes a "your word against theirs" situation, of which you can never win because they are a faceless organisation and hold all the power.

you can go to your local library and print out the info
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • Super_Trouper
    Options
    lindens wrote: »
    you can go to your local library and print out the info
    Their website and the form itself says it can be sent by email, so why would I bother. One of the questions I had related to sending in the form in either way, by email or post.

2 months is not acceptable to receive a reply, especially when the reply IGNORED my questions and demanded a host of personal information without a reason why.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure