PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Asking for rent reduction

Options

Comments

• AG47
    AG47 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    Options
    Update, the landlord is stalling saying they have somebody looking into it and will give an assessment before contacting the landlord.

Too late I have already written to the landlord a more stern letter.

We actually like the thought of moving to the newly referbished flat for cheaper rent, but will give him a chance to lower our rent under that one first,
    Nothing has been fixed since 2008, it was just pushed into the future
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    AG47 wrote: »
    Update, the landlord is stalling saying they have somebody looking into it and will give an assessment before contacting the landlord.

Too late I have already written to the landlord a more stern letter.

We actually like the thought of moving to the newly referbished flat for cheaper rent, but will give him a chance to lower our rent under that one first,

Good position to be in.
  • AG47
    Options
    Good position to be in.

How strict is giving notice?

May contract is up may1st. So do I have to give notice t the end of this month to be 1 month notice to leave?

Or can I just wait I decided until May 1st then decide to leave or renew?

Could I even try to stay one month in this old place to wait for June 1st when there are no charges from agent anymore?

I’m ordering could I ask for a one month contract, or is there even a need? I’m sure I can stay one month past my contract ending?
  • AG47
    Options
    Can I try and stay a month past my contract ending?

Or should I ask for a 1 month rolling contract?

How does it work?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 March 2019 at 4:11PM
    Options
    Just stay on for one month past your official tenancy end. It then rolls over to a periodic tenancy. Read G_M's sticky - Ending tenancies section - at the top of this part of the forum,
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    AG47 wrote: »
    How strict is giving notice?

May contract is up may1st. So do I have to give notice t the end of this month to be 1 month notice to leave?

Or can I just wait I decided until May 1st then decide to leave or renew?

Could I even try to stay one month in this old place to wait for June 1st when there are no charges from agent anymore?

I’m ordering could I ask for a one month contract, or is there even a need? I’m sure I can stay one month past my contract ending?

Sounds a bit like the Brexit negotiation. A lot depends on how the landlord is, if they are a good one it is sometimes worth staying on, even with slight rent increases. You could jump to another flat and two months later they might try to sell, or try to bump the rent up? I think if we go WTO though rent isn`t going to be going anywhere fast.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Crashy - you have heard of fixed term tenancies which is what the OP would have if they moved?
  • sillyhilly
    sillyhilly Posts: 176 Forumite
    Options
    It would be good if you could keep this thread updated?

I'm intrigued how a landlord is going to act when you're asking for a reduction because rents have fell within the past six months, yet the landlord hasn't increased your rent despite the past 5 years being constant increases in average rental costs across London...
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    sillyhilly wrote: »

I'm intrigued how a landlord is going to act when you're asking for a reduction because rents have fell within the past six months, yet the landlord hasn't increased your rent despite the past 5 years being constant increases in average rental costs across London...

All that really counts is that the OP can find a cheaper similar flat now, in the same way that people say the price of a house 5 years ago has no bearing on the price now?
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    sillyhilly wrote: »

I guess the approach depends on where you live?

https://www.citylets.co.uk/research/reports/property-rental-report-aberdeen-2018-q4/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure