PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Asking for rent reduction

Options

Comments

• breaking_free
    Options
    AG47 wrote: »
    We have lived here for 5 years now and the rent hasn't gone down at all in that time.

He has called round a few times and we are quite happy for him to come inside and look how clean and tiny we are.

Well I think you should get a rent reduction based on not being able to use the top shelves.
    You've saved the landlord a lot of potential wear and tear :D
    "The problem with Internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
  • letitbe90
    letitbe90 Posts: 345 Forumite
    Options
    By not getting a rent rise, you've essentially had a rent cut due to the effects of inflation (in excess of 10% by now).
  • Annie35
    Annie35 Posts: 385 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    letitbe90 wrote: »
    By not getting a rent rise, you've essentially had a rent cut due to the effects of inflation (in excess of 10% by now).

It doesn't matter. The point is op can get the same flat (better even) in the same block for less then he currently pays.
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Annie35 wrote: »
    It doesn't matter. The point is op can get the same flat (better even) in the same block for less then he currently pays.

Less than he currently pays...however factor in moving costs and fees and it may not be as cost effective to move

Fees are to be abolished on 1st June for tenants however if he moves before that date they still apply.

Just because the cheaper properties are in the same block it doesn't follow that all tenancies will be the same as the one he currently has or indeed that the LL of the new property operates in the same manner as his existing LL....sometimes you only know you've got a good LL when you move to another who isn't as diligent maybe....
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • Shelldean
    Shelldean Posts: 2,396 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just to add my tuppence worth.....I live in rental but provided by a housing association, so social housing.

And my rent has gone down again this year. Not huge reduction but none the less a reduction. About £7 a month this year April 19 onwards. And about £9 a month from April 18 - to March 19.

So rents are coming down in some places. And nope I'm not in the outer Hebrides, or some other remote place. Am in a London borough!!!
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I suspect when the OP referred to being "not near a tube station" they probably meant they're somewhere in London rather than Aberdeen.
  • GibbsRule_No3
    GibbsRule_No3 Posts: 610 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 April 2019 at 6:01PM
    Options
    Shelldean wrote: »
    Just to add my tuppence worth.....I live in rental but provided by a housing association, so social housing.

And my rent has gone down again this year. Not huge reduction but none the less a reduction. About £7 a month this year April 19 onwards. And about £9 a month from April 18 - to March 19.

So rents are coming down in some places. And nope I'm not in the outer Hebrides, or some other remote place. Am in a London borough!!!

It was something the government brought in, mine went down as well and I’m also in a London borough. Not by much like you but nicer than going up.

“Social housing tenants will see their rent reduced by 1% a year for the next four years after chancellor George Osborne attacked rent increases in the social housing sector and compelled housing associations to lower them” 2015 so this will be the last year.
    Paddle No 21 :wave:
  • Shelldean
    Shelldean Posts: 2,396 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 April 2019 at 7:03PM
    Options
    It was something the government brought in, mine went down as well and I’m also in a London borough. Not by much like you but nicer than going up.

“Social housing tenants will see their rent reduced by 1% a year for the next four years after chancellor George Osborne attacked rent increases in the social housing sector and compelled housing associations to lower them” 2015 so this will be the last year.

Ah right ok thanks for that. Yes any reduction is welcomed especially as our HA is a shower of s##t.

I thought it was to do with bringing all the rents in line between council and housing associations etc. Am sure I read that somewhere. But maybe it was what you refered to????
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,416 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    I suspect when the OP referred to being "not near a tube station" they probably meant they're somewhere in London rather than Aberdeen.

But any fair minded person would have to agree with Crashy, by anyone's standards nowhere in Aberdeen is near a tube station. Certainly not close enough to influence property prices or rental values. Approx 400 miles by road.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »

True, but you have to admit that the 30% drops are something special, especially since Aberdeen and Shire used to be the wealthiest area/city outside London?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure