number with PAC to PAYG - cheapest way?

Options
Ant555
Ant555 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
I am looking to obtain PAC details for a number and effectively hold it on retention until I decide what to do with the number later on in the year.

If I buy a PAYG sim then will I need to top up before porting in the number with the PAC.
I know its only a few quid but as this is MSE I was wondering if there was a cheapest way of doing this with little or even no cost.

I am not fussed about making or receiving calls to/from this number in the interim - its a good number and I might start to use it as my main mobile number later on in the year - just need to 'park' it for now.

Any advice?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yes you will need to add credit onto the new SIM card to port the number in.
    You will also need to use the new SIM after the port to the minimum requirements of the mobile provider. (Most require some chargeable activity within a certain time period - 1, 3, 6 months are typical). Some require top ups within a certain time frame too.
    I would also avoid any mobile company which doesn't own its own network so look at 3, EE, Vodafone, O2. This is just that it is easier to deal with the network owners and they are less likely to get things wrong.
  • nick74
    nick74 Posts: 829 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 March 2019 at 12:34PM
    Options
    Probably the most straightforward PAYG provider to use would be Giffgaff.

You would need to initially top the account up with £10, but after that you only have to make one chargeable activity every 6 months to keep the number and the SIM connected. I do this on Giffgaff by sending myself a text message (costing 5p) every five and bit months or so and have kept a number 'parked' for over 3 years like this.

One advantage of using Giffgaff is that its an entirely automated online system, so to give them your PAC, then to request a PAC when you leave is all done on the website. No tedious calls to a customer service line while they try to talk you out of leaving etc!
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,019 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I suggest you grab free SIM with three mobile which give free 200mb every month.

Min value of top up is £5 and never expire.
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Cisco001 wrote: »
    I suggest you grab free SIM with three mobile which give free 200mb every month.

Min value of top up is £5 and never expire.

The Three Data Reward sim (with 200mb free each month) is min £2 top up online
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure