Vodafone - Help and advice needed please

Options
My first post and I really need some help and advice please.

On 7th Feb 2019 I signed up to Vodafone's superfast1 broadband and landline deal. I was supposed to go live on the 19th Feb. Shortly afterwards I realised that I was still inside the 12 month contract with my existing provider and so requested a change to 15th March. Told this was fine but continued to get emails, texts and letters telling me that I was going live on the 19th. Everytime I rang up and was told no it will be the the 15th March.
On the 19th my existing supply was cut off and was told by John lewis that they have not been told of the change of the date. My phone line went live on the 19th but my Broadband went live on the 14th March.
The speed is 6.8 Mbs
I tried to cancel my contract today but have been told that I signed the contract on the 13th feb and therefore I am outside of the 30 day period and it will cost me £168 to cancel even though I didnt get any broadband service until 14th March.
I have had conversations with Patrick in the Director's office who was supposed to call me on Saturday gone at 9-30. to discuss compensation. i waited in all day and no call and there is no way of getting hold of him.
Without internet, my sure signal didnt work and without that, my mobile reception at home was poor and I work from home with the mobile as my business number. The impact of that on my business is unknown but irrelevant to Vodafone.
I feel that I have been conned on so many levels - start dates, speed capability, delaying a rubbish broadband until just after the 30 day period expires, promises of compensation (today I was offered £20!) and just generally, the most appalling customer care that I have ever experienced to the point that I am considering paying the £168 to get away from Vodafone.

Does anyone have a similar experience and what happened? How do I get to speak to someone who will actually listen and act and can offer decent compensation? What should that be - I dont think Vodafone are part of the Offcom voluntary agreement of £5/day?
Do I have any rights over canceling this contract and can they really say that I am out of the 30 day right to cancel period when they havent actually offered the service in that time.

Apologies for all the questions but I am at a loss of what to do next and it genuinely leaves you close to tears of frustration.

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    <requested a change to 15th March. Told this was fine>
    <Broadband went live on the 14th March>

Speed at least ten days to sync .
    Is that speed at the box ??or wifi .

£20- £30 is about the norm .
    If a service is required for business then you need a business contract .
  • TheWaltonfamily
    Options
    Hi JJ. This is speed at the box and registered on the router admin site.
    I feel as though I have been strung along to get me through the various deadlines so that they have no contractural liability and they would never discuss compensation or give me any idea during the issues which I now realise is all part of the game - feel a bit of a fool and £20 is an insult
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Without internet, my sure signal didnt work and without that, my mobile reception at home was poor and I work from home with the mobile as my business number. The impact of that on my business is unknown but irrelevant to Vodafone.
    You asked for help and advice. My advice is to never, ever rely on a domestic internet connection for any function related to your livelihood.

A domestic ISP won't be interested in "I can't work because my internet connection is down", to them you are just another home user whose iplayer or netflix isn't streaming at the moment, so nothing critical.

Use a proper business ISP. It will probably cost you at least double and you still won't get consequential loss compensation (think ten times the monthly cost before that starts to become a possibility), but you will get people at the end of the phone that will take ownership of a problem and no need to do all this "emailing the CEO" nonsense.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure