Now TV - instead of Sky

Options
My Sky subscription has jumped from 43 er month to 55 per month which is crazy considering how little TV I watch to be honest..

The TV License on top of course.

I only have Entertainment with Sky as it has the Universal Channel, internet and a phone line which I NEVER use, do not even have a hone plugged in there.

I am looking at NOW TV but how can I find whole list of channels it offers?

I am looking at their website and frankly can not make much sense out of how this works.

I would like to have Universal, 5US, Comedy Central and the likes.

No men or kids at home so I no need for kids channels or sport channels.

Will also need internet of course, need a decent speed as work from home occasionally so needs to be reliable.

There is no TV aerial where I live and I understand Sky now asks for their box to be sent beck when you cancel with them.

Any pointers what would be the best option?

Many thanks

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,166 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 9 March 2019 at 9:01AM
    Options
    These channels are available live on Now TV, and selected programs, series and box-sets from those channels are available on-demand. Now TV is conceived as a streaming service and there is no recording capability.

Sky Atlantic
    Sky 1
    Sky Witness
    Sky Arts
    FOX
    SYFY
    Gold
    Comedy Central
    MTV
    Discovery
    Nat Geo Wild
    abc studios
    Challenge
    VICE
    Pick

There is also an on-going collaboration with both ITV and C4 where certain high-profile series are offered as an ad-free box-set within the Now TV Entertainment pass.

The basic cost of this pass is £7.99pm and there is no long-term contractual commitment. Offers are often available.

5 USA is available on Freeview which you will not have access to without an aerial. If you plan to buy a Now TV box/stick then these also come with set of catch-up apps for the main terrestrial channels (including 5 USA via the My5 app). These apps (mostly) do not offer live channels, just catch-up and box-sets.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Universal is NOT available on any platform in the UK other than a paid for subscription from Sky, Virgin, Talktalk or BT TV, For the latter two you'd need an aerial for access to the likes of the BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 etc.

So if an aerial is out of the question and you really need the Universal channel your options are Sky or Virgin.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have just left Sky and they have not asked for any equipment back. I have bought a freesat Humax box. We need to use Freesat as no aerial reception available.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    comeandgo wrote: »
    I have just left Sky and they have not asked for any equipment back. I have bought a freesat Humax box. We need to use Freesat as no aerial reception available.

It's just the Q they want back. The rest you owned not that they were of any use without sky.

Since you did not mention having to buy a new LNB (it changed for Q) I assume you did not have Q.

I have just left SKY. I will wait on the humax box though and see if I can cope with net based catch up etc.
  • kpearsoncj
    kpearsoncj Posts: 248 Forumite
    Options
    i use tv player as an alternative for universal tv if that helps

always random offers
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kpearsoncj wrote: »
    i use tv player as an alternative for universal tv if that helps

always random offers