Selling on eBay

Options
Hi,

I've recently started trying to sell on eBay as a business. I knew it was going to be slow getting started with a new account and zero feedback but this is ridiculous.

I type the exact title I have given my listing, the first few items that come up are identical to what I'm selling but the sellers are well established, then there are 3 pages of different items before you get to mine 😓.

I even ticked the box to pay even more exorbitant eBay fees for my items to be 'promoted' but those listings are even further down the list than the original listing!

I've only sold 8 items in a month even though my prices are cheaper and my delivery is quicker than the sellers at the top, yet they have sold hundreds 😓

Well I've learnt something from this! Next time I'm looking for something on eBay, I'll be totally discounting the listings at the top that are being given a leg up by eBay!

Oh well, looks like it's back to job hunting.

Mbm x

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mustbemad wrote: »
    Hi,

I've recently started trying to sell on eBay as a business. I knew it was going to be slow getting started with a new account and zero feedback but this is ridiculous.

I type the exact title I have given my listing, the first few items that come up are identical to what I'm selling but the sellers are well established, then there are 3 pages of different items before you get to mine 😓.

I even ticked the box to pay even more exorbitant eBay fees for my items to be 'promoted' but those listings are even further down the list than the original listing!

I've only sold 8 items in a month even though my prices are cheaper and my delivery is quicker than the sellers at the top, yet they have sold hundreds 😓

Well I've learnt something from this! Next time I'm looking for something on eBay, I'll be totally discounting the listings at the top that are being given a leg up by eBay!

Oh well, looks like it's back to job hunting.

Mbm x

Buyers don't tend to like low feedback sellers, the usual advice is to either use an existing account and upgrade to a business, or buy for a while and then start to sell.

Also check your listings, you don't have any silly terms and conditions do you, or too much rubbish in your description. Do you have good clear photos, not using stock photos, a decent dispatch time etc?

Other than that it is just a case of persevering , the established sellers will be higher in the metrics than you as that is how it works.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ballisticbrian
    Options
    I sell things now for £4 that 8 years ago I was selling hundreds of for £8. Newbies come along and try 1p cheaper. They haven't seen what went on before and don't realise it doesn't work in the long run. I can just feel their excitement as they go 1p cheaper and think they've just won a award for "brain of Britain". LOL
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • bengalknights
    Options
    Dont just use Ebay use schpock, facebook,gumtree there is a wider world then just ebay for selling
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I tend to ignore listings that are 'promoted'. Can't even explain why, but it's probably because subconsiously I'm not keen on sellers paying to have their listings try to catch my eye.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • mustbemad
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    Buyers don't tend to like low feedback sellers, the usual advice is to either use an existing account and upgrade to a business, or buy for a while and then start to sell.

Also check your listings, you don't have any silly terms and conditions do you, or too much rubbish in your description. Do you have good clear photos, not using stock photos, a decent dispatch time etc?

Other than that it is just a case of persevering , the established sellers will be higher in the metrics than you as that is how it works.

Thanks Soolin. I didn't really want to use my personal account because I know that once you have switched it to business you can't switch back. The other option is buying 1p items for the feedback but what's the point, no one falls for that, I certainly wouldn't.

I'm using my own photos and don't have any silly t&c's, I said I will post same day if ordered before a certain time and have posted same day even if that time has passed. I even got up early on Saturday morning to post an item that had been bought during the night before the 8am collection hoping for feedback but no such luck 😓. I certainly won't be pestering for feedback, It really annoys me when I get pestered for it!

I guess all I can do is wait, it just seems so unfair that even people who are using personal accounts for business use are ahead of me in the listings. Oh well, it was worth a try!

Mbm x
  • mustbemad
    Options
    cattie wrote: »
    I tend to ignore listings that are 'promoted'. Can't even explain why, but it's probably because subconsiously I'm not keen on sellers paying to have their listings try to catch my eye.

I wouldn't mind but I'm the same lol. I've taken it off now, what's the point when it doesn't even place your listing closer to the top!

Mbm x
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mustbemad wrote: »
    Thanks Soolin. I didn't really want to use my personal account because I know that once you have switched it to business you can't switch back. The other option is buying 1p items for the feedback but what's the point, no one falls for that, I certainly wouldn't.

I'm using my own photos and don't have any silly t&c's, I said I will post same day if ordered before a certain time and have posted same day even if that time has passed. I even got up early on Saturday morning to post an item that had been bought during the night before the 8am collection hoping for feedback but no such luck 😓. I certainly won't be pestering for feedback, It really annoys me when I get pestered for it!

I guess all I can do is wait, it just seems so unfair that even people who are using personal accounts for business use are ahead of me in the listings. Oh well, it was worth a try!

Mbm x

My usual advice would have been to use your existing private account with the feedback as your business by upgrading it. Then opening a new private account to start that one again from scratch as the business needs the feedback more than any private account does.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Pierre_De_Grenoble
    Options
    To get a really accurate indication of where exactly your listings are in the search results its always best to use a family members pc / mobile /broadband.

eBay's sponsored listings show as 1st, 4th. & 5th and who knows where after that position IMHO getting a "best match" high placement is a much better winner.
    I have managed this a couple of times simply by biting the bullet and listing cheaper than anybody else and then after some sales slowly raising the price.

Most people search on price and location. (at least I do....)
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Use your business account to purchase business related items. Get some labels printed etc.

You only need a few purchases, as mentioned dont try to be the cheapest if its going to cost you money in the long run. You should know the cost and sensible selling price of the item and stick to that.

Knocking pennies off could see you at a loss.

Budget for returns and false claims.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    My usual advice would have been to use your existing private account with the feedback as your business by upgrading it. Then opening a new private account to start that one again from scratch as the business needs the feedback more than any private account does.

This is what i did last year and i have had over 500 sales since
    people look at the feedback figure itself, not what you got the feedback for. It's all psychological really. I bought all my tools for my business on my new private account to get that feedback figure up - packaging, mail bags etc
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport