Options
    WILL
    Do I need two Trustees if will refers under age children
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    Zac10001 wrote: »
    WILL
    Do I need two Trustees if will refers under age children
    Please start a new thread in the correct forum.
  • slightlychilled
    Options
    Hi, I contacted one of the recommended MSE will writing services but have been turned down because I'm currently temporarily resident in another EU country. The majority of my assets, all property etc are in the UK and I pay taxes in both countries. I have no assets in my adopted country other than cash / shares and furniture. I intend to return to the UK eventually and I have a UK correspondence address. Does anyone know why UK residency is so important ?
    Would someone who has made a will in the UK really find his will to be invalid because he goes to work abroad ?
    Any advice as to how to proceed. Thanks.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I suspect it's more to do with principles and ID checking than anything else. Yes, your will remains valid, but you may also be advised that you need a will in your adopted country as well. Depending on where that is, it may be sensible even if you don't have major assets there.

If you're planning a visit back to the UK any time soon, that could be a good time to deal with this! Alternatively, look for someone in your adopted country who can offer a UK will. It may well be more expensive than a basic will, but your situation is complicated.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Hi, I contacted one of the recommended MSE will writing services but have been turned down because I'm currently temporarily resident in another EU country. The majority of my assets, all property etc are in the UK and I pay taxes in both countries. I have no assets in my adopted country other than cash / shares and furniture. I intend to return to the UK eventually and I have a UK correspondence address. Does anyone know why UK residency is so important ?
    Would someone who has made a will in the UK really find his will to be invalid because he goes to work abroad ?
    Any advice as to how to proceed. Thanks.

You have UK assets so you need a UK will. You speak to a UK solisitor not an unregulated will writing service.
  • slightlychilled
    Options
    This IS a regulated service as recommended by MSE. There doesn't seem to be any logic to their refusal and certainly the "proper" solicitor I have contacted locally doesn't have a problem with residency. His fee is slightly more, but on par with others in the area. I just want it sorted whilst I'm here in the UK so am somewhat disappointed to have wasted 5 days waiting for a MSE recommendation phone call.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    This IS a regulated service as recommended by MSE. There doesn't seem to be any logic to their refusal and certainly the "proper" solicitor I have contacted locally doesn't have a problem with residency. His fee is slightly more, but on par with others in the area. I just want it sorted whilst I'm here in the UK so am somewhat disappointed to have wasted 5 days waiting for a MSE recommendation phone call.

Who is this company?
  • slightlychilled
    Options
    It's the Co-Op Legal services as recommended under the low-cost professional wills.
  • Andrewha
    Options
    My mother had a 'Free' will drawn up by a bank for 'free' apparently. NOT the case, many people are coming unstuck not just the effectiveness of the wills but the astronomical charges they charge when the will is execute ted. They charge for th draft of the will which was done years earlier, but only charged for now. They take percentages from the estate and also charges for withdrawing your own money from the deceased estates account. Just watch out and read the small print. Even if you get a solicitor to do you a new will at £400 you could save your estate potentially tens of thousands of pounds. I spotted my mum's will from the Royal Bank of Scotland had associated charges which for her modest estate would have amounted to £15,000. We made a new will for £150 at a local trusted family solicitor. Get yourself protested from these 'Free' will scammers. I do understand that being a named executor of a will may frighten some people as being laden with a difficult laborious task, but remember when you are the executor of a will, you as the executor could appoint an appropriate solicitor at the time of death when you may help executing the will. I'ts not hard and you can get quotes which you feel happier to pay. Don't let the Bank be your executors. Unless your happy for a large chunk of money from the estate to go to the bank in commission charges.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback