Monzo debit v credit card

Options
What wins out, a Monzo debit card or a travel credit card eg Halifax? This is for a traveller that wants the ability to withdraw money whilst on holiday and pay directly with that card too.

Comments

• EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    Halifax Clarity without a doubt. Monzo has a £200 per month ATM withdrawal limit.
    Barclaycard Platinum Cashback Plus worth a look too, as they do interest free ATM withdrawals abroad, as long as you clear the full statement balance, over a four year promo period.
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    09mcfc wrote: »
    Hypothetically if I was to never draw more than £200 out, would Monzo win out?

No.

If you want a debit card; https://www.starlingbank.com/travel/ or do you intend to keep asking until Monzo becomes the answer?
  • Duckyduck
    Duckyduck Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Define “wins out”.

Both use the MasterCard exchange rate.

For purchases Tandem or Aqua cashback credit cards have no fx fees and 0.5% cashback, so I’d say they win. Plus the general benefit of delayed payment and protection of a credit card. Monzo has a nice UI and instant notifications.

Starling has unlimited free withdrawals and pays interest so arguably a better debit card than Monzo.
    Save £12k in 2019 #36
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This is for a traveller
    Really? A traveler who wants to choose and rely on only one card..?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    Duckyduck wrote: »
    Define “wins out”.

Both use the MasterCard exchange rate.

For purchases Tandem or Aqua cashback credit cards have no fx fees and 0.5% cashback, so I’d say they win. Plus the general benefit of delayed payment and protection of a credit card. Monzo has a nice UI and instant notifications.

Starling has unlimited free withdrawals and pays interest so arguably a better debit card than Monzo.

If you totally ignore the initial criteria and therefore the fact that you shouldn't use either of those cards for ATM withdrawals
    wants the ability to withdraw money whilst on holiday and pay directly with that card too

I would rather have two credit cards. One for ATM withdrawals and the other for spending. That is where the Tandem card could come in handy. On the other hand, if you lose the Clarity, you are a bit stuck. So both of my choices would be fee free for both ATM withdrawals and purchases.
    Cashback moves to a third card.
    Saying that, my Tandem card hasn't travelled with me yet.

If I could choose only one card, it would be a CC and it would be a Clarity.

But travelling with just one card would be folly.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »
    Really? A traveler who wants to choose and rely on only one card..?

OP as above you need more than one card .

I use clarity, starling, Revolut and PO CC.

Starling for th first time last month , it’s my new number 1 ,

Starling has a £300 a day withdrawal limit
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have Starling, Revolut and Monzo. Have just returned from my travels yesterday and exclusively used Starling as there is no ATM withdrawal limit and I used more than £200 via an ATM within 14 days. I keep the other two as a back up.
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    I'm getting the feeling that this thread is just an enormous waste of everyone's time...
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    But nasty, just trying to straighten out the pros and cons of getting a travel card or just sticking to hard cash and if moving over, what the best options are. If you don’t like the thread, you don’t need to respond

You've been given the best advice. If you want to vary from it, that is up to you.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,370 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The Barclaycard Platinum Cashback Plus is the best choice in absolute terms - as long as you can settle the balance in full within the timescale when the monthly statement drops through the letterbox.

https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/credit-cards/platinum-cashback-plus

Other options from MSE - https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards/

Halifax Clarity is second best option in my opinion, very good reputation.

The Starling debit card is another I would recommend, you REALLY need a backup when travelling abroad.

We have all three.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport