Fishtext...international text service closing

Options
ballyblack
ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Looks like another victim to free Whatsapp messaging and similar services

Hey FishText User,

It!s a sad day for us as we announce that we will soon be closing FishText. We've loved helping you send low cost SMS to all corners of the globe, and thank you for your loyalty over the years, but unfortunately it;s time for FishText to set sail...

From today, Monday 6th August 2018, you won't be able to make any new payments to your FishText account, and new signups will also be disabled.

You!!!;ll be able to log into your account for the next month to send messages and use up your credit balance, so there!!s still time to squeeze in some last farewell messages to your FishText friends!

Comments

• redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wonder if they intend to tell all customers.

Did your message come by text message or email?
  • ballyblack
    Options
    Did your message come by text message or email?

it came by email yesterday
  • Goldcrypto
    Goldcrypto Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for heads up. That is a real shame as have been using them since 2010!

Whatsapp is great and use to all family and friends but when messaging new people, not everyone has and is convenient for initial contact. Fishtext is cheapest for international text as range from 1p to 2p or so for most places. I found the messages fairly reliable going through (get green tick if sent and confirmed).

Anyone know of cheapest and most reliable text provider for international (UK to overseas - only interested in text).
    'Wall Street is the only place that people ride to in a Rolls Royce to get advice from those who take the subway'

W Buffett
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Goldcrypto wrote: »
    Thanks for heads up. That is a real shame as have been using them since 2010!

Whatsapp is great and use to all family and friends but when messaging new people, not everyone has and is convenient for initial contact. Fishtext is cheapest for international text as range from 1p to 2p or so for most places. I found the messages fairly reliable going through (get green tick if sent and confirmed).

Anyone know of cheapest and most reliable text provider for international (UK to overseas - only interested in text).

Tesco calling card app. I use it when roaming too.
  • Goldcrypto
    Goldcrypto Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds great. Will give it a try!
    'Wall Street is the only place that people ride to in a Rolls Royce to get advice from those who take the subway'

W Buffett
  • ballyblack
    edited 9 August 2018 at 8:48AM
    Options
    Thank you for tip

Tesco is free, but you must top up every 6 months with minimum £3
  • mclarkie
    mclarkie Posts: 11,666 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 16 August 2018 at 9:34AM
    Options
    Wish they had given more notice, it will take me ages to use up my credit.
  • ballyblack
    Options

you can claim your credit back
    :T

Hey FishText User,

We dropped you an email last week about the sad news that we are closing the FishText website. As promised, here's some important information for you.

You have until Thursday 6th September 2018 to use your remaining credit balance before we close FishText; once we close you will not be able to access your account.

If you have any credit remaining after this date we are more than happy to reimburse you. From Friday 7th September 2018, please email our team at fishtext.refunds@clxcommunications.com, confirming the details below:
    Your full name
    The mobile number associated with your account
    With this information we will start to process your refund.

Feel free to email our Support Team at support@fishtext.com if you have any further questions.

The FishText Team
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks again.

It's a pity they haven't sent this to all account holders.
  • ballyblack
    Options
    I got it by email..............have you a email address linked to the account?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure