1235»

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 October 2018 at 8:55PM
    Options
    In my experience it's not so much that EU workers are cheaper

EU workers aren't cheaper. The minimum wage determines that. Employers however have no need to offer higher wage packages. A totally different matter. Lower wages paid = higher profits for the business.
    But many other companies will still employ EU staff, but in their home countries - in the industry I work in, IT East Europeans are just as good as Brits but cost less than half to employ.

Then people complain that the UK is turning into a low wage economy. Ultimately you reap what you sow. You may well find yourself expendable in the future.
  • bemorebitcoin
    Options
    Bitcoin could still be a good bet, or safety net to keep a small % of your savings. A pound used to get you 2 dollars, and now it's just over 1, of course you could just buy dollars or any other currency as well but who knows how long they will last!
  • veryintrigued
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »

Then people complain that the UK is turning into a low wage economy. Ultimately you reap what you sow. You may well find yourself expendable in the future.

Presumably they'll be no complaints because:

"They're just better workers than their British counterparts with much more of a work ethic".

What a horrible generalisation.
  • veryintrigued
    Options
    EU workers aren't cheaper. The minimum wage determines that. Employers however have no need to offer higher wage packages. A totally different matter. Lower wages paid = higher profits for the business.

Presumably they'll be no complaints because:

"They're just better workers than their British counterparts with much more of a work ethic".

What a horrible generalisation.

Those pesky xenophobic Brexiteers eh?
  • dividendhero
    Options

I'm up for retirement soon, so really not bothered about my job going to mainland Europe. In fact I'd welcome it as the pay off would be handy.

Much more serious for the younger British workers though, especially those working on european projects. At the moment any of us can jet of to anywhere in europe and do a job whether it's one hour or one year. Come Brexit the UK workers are likely to need a visa, guess the EU based staff will get the gigs in Barcelona and Munich while the Brits will have the joys of getting the gigs in Sunderland or Skelmersdale:(
  • Captain_Bravo
    Options
    I started a property maintenance company in Jan 2010, in Scotland. A lot of gardening jobs, cleaning jobs, handyman works etc After 3-4 years I started employing different people to help me, as I got more and more work coming in and I expanded my customer base quite a lot. I am an EU worker by the way :)

In my experience the EU workers are cheaper... I hired lots of people in the last 5 years, I worked with local scottish people and I worked with a lot of EU workers. I found a decent scottish gardener a few years ago, a very nice man , in his 50s, but he charged me minimum 16 pounds per hour. That was more that I could charge the customers, most of the time :) So I worked with that local scottish gardener only on a few occasions, on big gardening projects where my profit margin could support his payment requirements.

Except that one, all the other local folk I hired, they were doing a bad job and had a bad work ethic.
    So thanks, but no, thanks.

I always hire EU workers, they work hard, they can do the same job with 10 pounds an hour and they have a great work ethic in comparison.

Brexit will affect my business in terms of forcing me to hire more local people, since the pool of EU workers will be much smaller, but in the end, the quality of work will drop big time or the price will double, either way, I might be out of business in a few years.
    No offence, this is just my personal experience of course I might be wrong...
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Options
    Rheumatoid wrote: »
    You really need to own an investment company and look a character out of the Beano!

..... and have inside political knowlege to know which businesses are going to get support from the taxpayer ;)
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • veryintrigued
    Options
    I'm up for retirement soon, so really not bothered about my job going to mainland Europe. In fact I'd welcome it as the pay off would be handy.
    :(

How selfishly sad.
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    How selfishly sad.

That’s a pretty cruel bit of editing there...or perhaps you are just selfishly sad! Dividend hero did go on to say how bad it would be for younger workers!
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 October 2018 at 4:15PM
    Options
    Apodemus wrote: »
    That’s a pretty cruel bit of editing there...or perhaps you are just selfishly sad! Dividend hero did go on to say how bad it would be for younger workers!

The fact that they are not bothered about their job going abroad (to someone more skilled presumably - based on their previous posts) shows exactly that.

I'm not one for legacy but was chuffed that my former IT job got filled onshore by someone young, skilled and local.

Each to their own in their approach.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport