Flexible working hours

Options
I work in a department of about 30 people. Recently my company have allowed Flexible working hours. But they are allowing it for any reason, in fact you don’t have to give a reason. People finish to work in pubs, go to gym, just because they can. Approx 10 people have requested early shifts on Fridays so they can finish at 4pm every week. There are only so many 8-4 shifts and the rest of the workforce have to have the leftover shifts up to 6pm. The people who did NOT request any changes to shifts and just want a fair rota are now suffering as they get late shifts every Friday with no option to swap as the earlier shifts are ‘gone’ and ‘not available ‘. These were done on a first come first served basis. The companies HR dept say they are doing nothing wrong and it is the law to allow these flexible hours. Is this discrimination and unfair on the rest of workforce. Any advice will be appreciated.

Comments

• Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It's not discrimination.

It's not unfair as you all had the opportunity to ask for flexible working.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Cainster
    Cainster Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    But the opportunity has now been taken away. Does business needs not come into this and how it is affecting the rest of the workforce?
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    what hours did you work before, and what hours are in your contract of employment?
  • Cainster
    Options
    7-3
    8-4
    9-5
    10-6
  • Cainster
    Options
    So is that it? Do I not have a leg to stand on? Do I have to have my contract changed?
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Cainster wrote: »
    But the opportunity has now been taken away. Does business needs not come into this and how it is affecting the rest of the workforce?
    Yes, of course business needs come into it. Business needs, not employee needs. The law says that anyone can ask for flexible working. People did, Some of them got it. Then there was no further capacity to give it because of business needs, so now they are saying no more. Which they are entitled to do. So no, you have no leg to stand on.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Cainster wrote: »
    Recently my company have allowed Flexible working hours.

Approx 10 people have requested early shifts on Fridays so they can finish at 4pm every week.

There are only so many 8-4 shifts and the rest of the workforce have to have the leftover shifts up to 6pm.

The people who did NOT request any changes to shifts and just want a fair rota are now suffering as they get late shifts every Friday with no option to swap as the earlier shifts are ‘gone’ and ‘not available ‘.

So was there a long list of those who wanted the 8-4 shift? How was it decided - 1st come, 1st served?

Did you request it and not get it, or did you not request it? I don't understand what the problem is, if you didn't request it. Sorry if I've read it wrong.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,499 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    [QUOTE=Cainster;74549371_The_companies_HR_dept_say_they_are_doing_nothing_wrong_and_it_is_the_law_to_allow_these_flexible_hours._Is_this_discrimination_and_unfair_on_the_rest_of_workforce._Any_advice_will_be_appreciated.[/QUOTE]

There is no law to say that a company has to permit flexible working. Anybody may request flexible working but requests do not have to be granted. As an example, where my wife works 2 people asked to reduce hours and take Fridays off. The company decided they couldn't cope 2 people short so agreed that each person could take alternate Fridays. Later another person asked for the Fridays off and was told they couldn't have the Friday but could have another day. Business needs generally over-rides an employees request.
  • Cainster
    Options
    I am one of approx 20 people who did not apply for it as we just want to work a fair rota so a fair distribution of early and late shifts on Fridays. The selfish people ( as described by the union) applied for early shifts on Fridays ( even though they want to work Saturdays as overtime). The people who are now left to do all the later shifts are now very upset, not sleeping, poor health etc because we will never get a choice of earlier shifts or booking half days etc. You have to swap to an early shift if you want a half day, but there is no flexibility to swap now. It!!!8217;s causing a lot of friction on the department.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    HR work for the company/management, don't try to influence them you will be wasting your time.

As a group have to work on the management making the business needs sort out the issue.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure