Flexible working hours

Options
124»

Comments

• TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It sounds as though your employer didn't really think things through when they granted the flexible working requests.

It may be a situation whether those affected can speak, as a group, first to the union and then to management, to specifically as about arrangements for holidays and for assurances that you will be able to book a full week off when you book holidays, for instance.

That said, most employers will be able to accommodate a finite number of people on flexible hours as broadly speaking, people will tend to want the *same* flexibility - i.e. the majority are likely to want (say) to work out the flexibility do they can have Friday afternoon off - far fewer people will want the flexibility that would give them (say) Wednesday morning, so there is always likely to be an element of first come, first served.

Where I work, we have had to turn down some requests for flexible working because, taking into account existing staffing levels, it's not possible.It isn't that the people who asked most recently are any less deserving or any less hardworking, it's just that you have to have a certain level of cover.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,338 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    At present you appear to have 10 happy people and up to 20 unhappy people in the workforce. Has this lowered the average satisfaction compared to before this was introduced? What positive proposals can you come up with as a group that would not be too arduous for the company to instigate, but would increase the total happiness?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What was the reason that you did not put in for early finish Fridays?

You mention finishing early to go away for the weekend etc so why would you be one of the members of staff who didn't apply for the flexible?
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cainster wrote: »
    I work in a department of about 30 people. Recently my company have allowed Flexible working hours. But they are allowing it for any reason, in fact you don’t have to give a reason. People finish to work in pubs, go to gym, just because they can. Approx 10 people have requested early shifts on Fridays so they can finish at 4pm every week. There are only so many 8-4 shifts and the rest of the workforce have to have the leftover shifts up to 6pm. The people who did NOT request any changes to shifts and just want a fair rota are now suffering as they get late shifts every Friday with no option to swap as the earlier shifts are ‘gone’ and ‘not available ‘. These were done on a first come first served basis. The companies HR dept say they are doing nothing wrong and it is the law to allow these flexible hours. Is this discrimination and unfair on the rest of workforce. Any advice will be appreciated.

Looking at your other posts in this thread there seems to be a 7-3 shift. Could you apply for that on Fridays as you are so keen to finish before the late hour of 6.00 pm?
  • skcollobcat10
    skcollobcat10 Posts: 331 Forumite
    edited 21 July 2018 at 1:18AM
    Options
    LilElvis wrote: »
    You can still take a half day if you wish - you need to follow your company's holiday booking procedure and utilise your holiday entitlement.

I agree but OP also has 3 FULL DAYS off during week but still not happy.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    I agree but OP also has 3 FULL DAYS off during week but still not happy.
    Sorry, I've missed something. Where did you get that from?
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sangie595 wrote: »
    Sorry, I've missed something. Where did you get that from?

I think they're alluding to this post which would indicate that the OP works a four day week

Cainster wrote: »
    7-3
    8-4
    9-5
    10-6
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    to me that only indicated the shift patterns during a day, not how many days someone can work
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure