Everest double glazing. Any good?

Options

Comments

• Alisha2008
    Alisha2008 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Furts wrote: »
    Which magazine is independent. The publishers, the Consumers Association are independent. They produced an article on double glazing last November. Their analysis was avoid Everest. Everest scored marginally better than the worst which was Safestyle, but came behind Anglian. That is not putting any of them on a pedestal because all three were trounced by local independent companies.

Nothing new there. It is what people on this forum have been saying for years. But it is nice to get the forum view supported with formal analysis.

Can you tell me which were the recommended companies? We need to replace all the windows in our property and we've no idea where to start...
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    Alisha2008 wrote: »
    Can you tell me which were the recommended companies? We need to replace all the windows in our property and we've no idea where to start...

The result was use an independent local company, and avoid national names. Everest, Anglian and Safestyle were each given a poor write up - each comprised a mixed bag of results giving overall satisfaction significantly behind locals.

But do be careful. All over the country there are local -ish companies that model on the national brands. Here think Dunraven in S Wales, or Glevum when heading further east - just two random examples. These companies with sales people, commision, glossy showrooms, expensive marketing budgets are all best avoided. Why? Because the consumer is paying for all this and getting zero added value from it. Indeed the opposite is true - but that is another argument for another time!
  • Kiran
    Kiran Posts: 1,368 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Alisha2008 wrote: »

Do yourself a favour and measure up what you and sketch what you want in terms of window configuration. It doesn't have to be anything more than a line drawing and measure as accurately as you can. They will not manufacture to your measurements, they won't even manufacture to the sales peoples measurements. What it does give them is enough information to price on.

If you want like for like replacements then take close up photos of the windows and annotate with the measurements.

When you have this information take it to them. This instantly means you are not on the back foot with a pushy sales person in your home. Depending on the premises you could look at a newly manufactured frame instead of the "show" frame where all the welds have been cleaned down and the top spec glass and ironmongery are fitted etc.etc. Don't worry about glossy brochures, find out what system they manufacture the frames from, what the thermal performance of the glass is and number of locking points, secure by design etc.

If you don't like what you are hearing, stand up, thank them for their time and walk away.

The other thing I was told, ironically as Furts mentioned Dunraven in his post above, by someone who was in school with one of their top earner sales people is that when a sales person comes to the house they have already decided a figure before they've even knocked on the door. Now if this is true and I don't have any reason to doubt it, take that advantage away from them.
    Some people don't exaggerate........... They just remember big!
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    Kiran wrote: »

The other thing I was told, ironically as Furts mentioned Dunraven in his post above, by someone who was in school with one of their top earner sales people is that when a sales person comes to the house they have already decided a figure before they've even knocked on the door. Now if this is true and I don't have any reason to doubt it, take that advantage away from them.

A lump sum per window is pre decided, as a minimum that the sales person will deal at. For example, even if the trade price is £132+VAT the sales person will have pre decided at £1000. It is all a game, which the consumer is foolish to play. There is no need for sales people, no need for lengthy meetings in the home, no need for samples. A reality check should kick in . Windows are cheap everyday commodities, and should be thought of as one thinks of a bag of cement!
  • Kiran
    Options
    i refused to pay, and a installation manager rang me and threatened me with legal action. !

To which the correct response would be " it's interesting that this is your avenue to a satisfactory resolution for both parties, but if that is the course of action you choose then so be it. In the meantime if you successfully rectify all defects to my satisfaction I will pay the outstanding balance in full and final settlement" NOT ok then, here have your money.

If you had built a case and evidence to prove it there is no case for you to answer and you shouldn't let yourself be bullied into handing over significant sums of money. Extortion through threats of legal action is still extortion.
  • Kiran
    Options
    Furts wrote: »
    A lump sum per window is pre decided, as a minimum that the sales person will deal at. For example, even if the trade price is £132+VAT the sales person will have pre decided at £1000. It is all a game, which the consumer is foolish to play. There is no need for sales people, no need for lengthy meetings in the home, no need for samples. A reality check should kick in . Windows are cheap everyday commodities, and should be thought of as one thinks of a bag of cement!

Agreed, hence the tactic of taking the game to them.

There are stories a plenty of what happens when you let them in, I'm lucky as I find most of my encounters entertaining but to be bullied by people so desperate to make a sale is beyond me
  • Alisha2008
    Options
    Thanks, so far we got one quote but it was from the company that did our front door. We are happy with the door (not that we have any other to compare it to..) and because the guy came anyway we thought we would ask, but now we'd like some more to compare.

I'll measure all the windows and go to a couple of local places like it was suggested, thanks.
  • TheJackah
    TheJackah Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The big names can be overpriced, as others have said. I generally recommend using a quote tool, so you get an idea of price first. My favourite is this one which lets you select a few different window fitters near you and then emails you a price for each. Just enter your postcode here and it will find window fitters near you.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had a kitchen done by Everest during the aftermath of the 2008 crisis. Paid for it on a loan agreement with an Everest finance partner for the simple reason it gave full financial protection in case the supplier went bust. Had my doubts but Everest got everything right apart from one wobbly kick board.
  • Alisha2008
    Options
    TheJackah wrote: »
    The big names can be overpriced, as others have said. I generally recommend using a quote tool, so you get an idea of price first. My favourite is this one which lets you select a few different window fitters near you and then emails you a price for each. Just enter your postcode here and it will find window fitters near you.

The 3 installers suggested by that website and nowhere near me!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure