Everest double glazing. Any good?

Options
As the title says really. Has anyone used them recently and would you recommend them?

Comments

• Ionkontrol
    Options
    If you like the idea of paying at least double for a product, go ahead.
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Massively overpriced with a real hard sell.
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Options
    I won't comment on the cost, but I could not fault the installation in any way. Can't really complain about the hard sell as we invited them.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I spent a couple of years as a Rep, that was about 30yrs ago. At the time i use to tell people i believed it was by far the best. I'd say that to people who just asked about but weren't a prospective customer.
    I still believe it's probably one of the better products but would i pay the extra for it, No.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Grumpysally
    Options
    Well, we got a quote from them on Wednesday for three windows, one of which is, admittedly, a large picture window. The price, with alleged discount, was more than it cost to replace all the windows and two exterior doors in our terraced house. Still picking my jaw back up off the floor :eek::eek:
  • JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well, they have to pay for all that television advertising somehow. Better to find a local company that's been trading for a reasonably long time.
  • Grumpysally
    Options
    We'd mistakenly thought that they would have the edge over small local firms due to economies of scale. Also was under the misapprehension that the days of unscrupulous double glazing salesmen were in the past. How wrong we were.
    I suppose the main way they get people is by offering credit, which smaller local firms can't do. I dread to think how long it would take before you would see value for money in terms of reduced heating costs set against paying off such over inflated prices. As usual the people who can least afford it end up paying more.
    Do Everest still advertise on the TV. I don't remember seeing one for a while. I still always think of Ted Moult and his hardwood surrounds when Everest is mentioned.
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    Hi AlisonW
    What Everest do not tell you, as far as I know, is they do not manufacture any windows. They obtain their windows from the same low cost "trade" outlets that any mse user could go along to and buy the windows from. But of course, this purchase would be at a fraction of the Everest quote.

In 2012 I bought windows for my home by this route, and IIRR, there was an order for Everest on the adjacent pack. I had not sought an Everest quote because I knew it would be a waste of my, and their, time.

At least Anglian make their own windows - not that they are any good!

Hope this helps.
  • Essex_the_Strawberry
    Essex_the_Strawberry Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 23 February 2014 at 3:15PM
    Options
    Hi
    I have had 6 window installations by Everest and i can say they are up there with the best,one of the windows has been installed facing a south facing garden so was exposed to high summer temperatures and in winter freezing conditions for over 20 years and i haven't had a single problem.Also check out Anglian same product but be ware if you want a door there will be a gap of 3mm between the door frame and the door due to removing a seal and they haven't modified the door.I hope this helps.
    Everest purchase the frames from a company in Germany and i believe they manufacture the Glass sealed units themselves but in any case they guarantee the sealed units for at least 20 years to a lifetime covered by Barclays.
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I had a local tradesman fit replacement windows and a door recently - he told me he originally trained and worked with Everest 25 years ago, and assured me they were a quality product and fit. As everybody else is saying, you pay a premium for the name, and can otherwise get the same product elsewhere. They do give the hard sell, and will take a long time to go away.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure