Threats to UK pension savers

Options

Comments

• msallen
    msallen Posts: 1,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Judging by the comments of Corynistas and Brexiteers, then it is undoubtedly:

1. Political and economic naivety
    2. Populism
    3. Underestimation of the likelihood of zombie apocalypse

If you can solve number 1, then number 2 is less of a threat. Number 3 is always going to be problematic.
  • Triumph13
    Triumph13 Posts: 1,730 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Actually the things that really worry me are:
    1. Expecting millions of economically illiterate and functionally inumerate people to successfully manage a drawdown pot. When huge numbers of them go broke there will a) be calls for 'something to be done' by government; and b) a mad scramble to sue everyone in sight which could break the whole system.
    2. DB pensioners generally keep spending regardless and help dampen economic swings. Many DC pensioners will react to market downturns by cutting their spending. This could lead to a feedback loop and a downward spiral.
  • Spreadsheetman
    Options
    Triumph13 wrote: »
    Actually the things that really worry me are:
    1. Expecting millions of economically illiterate and functionally inumerate people to successfully manage a drawdown pot. When huge numbers of them go broke there will a) be calls for 'something to be done' by government; and b) a mad scramble to sue everyone in sight which could break the whole system.
    2. DB pensioners generally keep spending regardless and help dampen economic swings. Many DC pensioners will react to market downturns by cutting their spending. This could lead to a feedback loop and a downward spiral.
    That point 2 is bang-on. If I had a DB pension I would spend 100% of it whatever the state of the economy (beyond ensuring I had the usual emergency funds etc.). Since my pension is entirely DC I will spend very cautiously until I am past the sequence-of-returns risk years and in a bad economy I will reduce my spending to be bare essentials only.
  • Takedap
    Takedap Posts: 805 Forumite
    Options
    GSP wrote: »
    Jo Swinson and all other unaccepting remainers should be held to account trying to incite riots.
    Does she really think that 17.4 million are just going to accept their winning majority vote is cancelled?
    The lack of vision from remainers and what the real world is about is startling.

Jo Swinson can't do anything unless she is democratically elected. Once voted in, it makes her position legitimate.

WRT the other bit. 17 million would probably do nothing. The other 400,000 would grumble amongst themselves & maybe a small percentage would take to the streets.

But I'll be nothing compared to the unrest that will happen if the economy crashed after Boris had taken the country out using a legal loophole.
  • Terron
    Terron Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    davidr1964 wrote: »
    Inflation
    The Labour Party
    The 'Liberal' 'Democrats'

Some Liberal Democrats are sensible (though a it appears a minority)
    Paddy Ashdown said on the day of the referendum “I will forgive no one who does not accept the sovereign voice of the British people once it has spoken whether it’s by one percent or 20 percent."
  • GSP
    GSP Posts: 887 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Takedap wrote: »

WRT the other bit. 17 million would probably do nothing. The other 400,000 would grumble amongst themselves & maybe a small percentage would take to the streets.

But I'll be nothing compared to the unrest that will happen if the economy crashed after Boris had taken the country out using a legal loophole.

On the contrary, 17.4 million have been watching very patiently with dignity as this all plays out, though the anger has grown. Those that have shown themselves up to try and thwart Brexit have been noted.
    IF the result was cancelled, forget all your little remainer marches, there would be bedlam. And in time, to rid this country of a dictatorship that never wants us to leave the EU would create a monster towards the hard right. This country would never be the same, another reason to honour the vote now.

IF the economy crashed. The word IF used alongside could, maybe, perhaps. All we have seen from remainer biased forecasts have not come true, why should they ever?
  • msallen
    msallen Posts: 1,494 Forumite
    Options
    GSP wrote: »
    ... have been watching very patiently with dignity ...

As delusional as naive.
    Another addition to the ignore list.
  • GSP
    GSP Posts: 887 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    msallen wrote: »
    As delusional as naive.
    Another addition to the ignore list.
    Oh they definitely have while unaccepting remainers have !!!!!ed and moaned every day from day one.
    Again, the silent majority are watching very patiently, but shocked at the same time as a number have showed themselves up and insulted our democracy.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Terron wrote: »
    Some Liberal Democrats are sensible (though a it appears a minority)
    Paddy Ashdown said on the day of the referendum “I will forgive no one who does not accept the sovereign voice of the British people once it has spoken whether it’s by one percent or 20 percent."
    Some Brexiteers are quite sensible as well. Like Farage who said there should be a second referendum if the result is 52-48.

Looks like the next election will be exactly that!
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,008 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    Some Brexiteers are quite sensible as well. Like Farage who said there should be a second referendum if the result is 52-48.

Looks like the next election will be exactly that!

Is that the election that the remain alliance shadow govt is too scared to call?
    I think....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport