Virgin didn't want to match online offer

Options
So, I'm an existing Virgin customer and my contract period ended, so my account flipped to their monthly rate and jumped by 20% to £56.50/month for 200 Mbps.

I checked their online offers and there's a deal at £32/month for 18 months (12 month contract) +£35 setup fee -£50 bill credit.

I called to discuss the options for bringing my bill down and they said the best offer is £44/month (ie. £12/month more); I pointed out their web site and said I'd prefer to pay £32, but they said they can't offer that to existing customers.

So, the costs for the 200 Mbps connection are:
  • Monthly basis: £56.50 = 678/yr
  • Best offer contract: £44 = 528/yr
  • new customer deal: £32 = 384/yr

I said the £32/month offer is the deal I would like, but they said no.

So I've given them my month's notice to disconnect; apparently I need to wait 90 days before I can become a customer again, but I'll save £170 in the process (and the link was via TCB, with £100 cashback - it expires tomorrow, but I expect there'll be another at the time).

It's a bit curious that they'll go through the rigmarole of disconnecting, returning the kit, closing the account, losing 3 months, creating a new customer, or maybe losing them permanently, etc., but ho-hum...

Meanwhile, I also have Sky BB (which I have used as a standby, but have just got an unlimited deal on that, so it should be good), so I might not even need to go back to Virgin at all.

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,267 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I had similar experience with Plusnet last week.
    Wouldn't match new customer offer so I'm off to John Lewis for tenner a month less
    Daft thing is JL is supplied by PN. No doubt in some accountant's mind it makes sense
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think I did a similar thing a couple of years ago

Left them. I had a sky BB also, so used for 3
    Months.

Then virgin had the best deal so ended going back. Not with them now.

It depends what speed you need.
    Vodafone 75mbps ish for £23 is hard to beat for value.
    If you can put up with hassle of ringing them when things go wrong
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,196 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My Sky contract was just up for renewal, so I've got a decent deal with them with unlimited fibre BB (plus my TV & phone).

I've liked having two independent BB providers, as I've been a home-based worker and so having a failsafe has made sense.

However, I've changed jobs and don't really need redundant connectivity now.

I would've gone for the online deal with Virgin if they'd offered it, though...
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,196 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I received the disconnection email from Virgin.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    I had similar experience with Plusnet last week.
    Wouldn't match new customer offer so I'm off to John Lewis for tenner a month less
    Daft thing is JL is supplied by PN. No doubt in some accountant's mind it makes sense

Yep, I moved from Sky to NowTV 18 months ago for the same exact service and even the same Q router for £10 less per month. Sky tried to retain me after I'd initiated the switch by offering it to me for £5 more than NowTV...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure