Joint Credit Cards?

Options
I've recently reviewed my credit report (Clearscore) as I'm getting my affairs in order and going to my bank soon to have a financial healthcheck.

In the "accounts" section I've noticed I have a Capital One credit card, a Newday Aqua credit card and another account showing with Nationwide. Problem is, I don't have any of these. No cards, no sign-in details, no account info, no letters, emails...nothing.

I know my partner has a current account with Nationwide and has a couple of credit cards on the go (when I told her about getting my own credit card she said "why not just use mine"). I've also seen letters floating about for Barclaycard and Amazon credit card.

My question is on the cards mentioned in the second paragraph. Is it possible to take out cards such as Capital One and Aqua in joint names? If so, that might explain why they're showing on my credit report. But surely this is wrong? And if they're in my sole name only then this is fraud?

I know I sound incredibly naive but am I in trouble here? :(

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There aren't any joint credit cards. One person has the account and the other can have an additional card.

If you have accounts on your files which aren't yours, dispute them.

What was on these floating letters that you saw?
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There's no such thing as a joint credit card. There may be a cardholder and an additional cardholder.

Are you saying there's an actual account showing on your credit reports, with limit, balance, payment history, etc?...or just a financial associate search for a credit card?

If the former, then you have a big problem. You need to face the possibility that your partner has been opening accounts in your name.
  • thomasj1989
    Options
    My credit report shows the following under each card account:-

Current balance, available credit, credit limit, date account opened, last updated, account number (all starred apart from the last two digits), name and address.

Also includes payment history (although it showing as zeroes across the board since 2017) - is it possible if there's £0 on there that the products aren't being used?

Same with the Nationwide account.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They are open accounts. You need to dispute these with the CRAs and lenders.

Make sure you check all three of your credit files, not just the one. There may be other accounts.
  • thomasj1989
    Options
    I have just spoken regarding the Aqua card - it was an account opened in my name only with my partner's contact number and an email address I had never seen before. The account was dormant however they could only search back 6 months worth of data. Safe to say I'm being passed through to fraud prevention and I'm on the prowl...
  • thomasj1989
    Options
    UPDATE: Capital One are now investigating and have given me contact details for Action Fraud - does it need to go to this extreme?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yes. You don't want people opening fraudulent accounts in your name or to be held responsible for repayments.

Capital One will also want your case reference number from Action Fraud.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is the time to have an honest conversation with your partner and perhaps family, to open an account in your name they need certain details and need to get to the card/PIN/statements coming to you, if they are on your record and are open accounts then someone has opened them in your name and unless you are willing to be involved in a prosecution for fraud it's better to find out what has gone on first.
  • thomasj1989
    Options
    Thanks, and you're absolutely right I need to resolve this at home too. I've registered with Action Fraud but getting stuck at the bit where I need to specify amounts as technically I haven't been notified of anything going wrong (due to my partners contact details being listed instead of mine). Both cards were opened in 2016 but both are dormant, means I don't have any ongoing issues but I need to work out why this has been done in the first place. My partner does not work so is always on hand to potentially intercept statements/letters before I get home.
  • Penelopa.Pitstop
    Options
    I think you should have started at home before disputing accounts. Partner probably opened accounts and never told you. Depending how much you trust partner and whether you plan future together, it could be easily resolved by closing the accounts and promise from other half not to do this again.

It would be very easy for partner to apply for cards knowing all you details and setting up electronic statements.

If you disputed the accounts and raised the issue with action fraud, now the partner may suffer legal consequences. Not sure if that's what you wanted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure