PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Vegan Store Cupboard Challenge

Options

Comments

• Winchelsea
    Options
    Interesting points about soya - thanks all. I'll maybe have a look at Alpro.

Forgot to add before that I used to drink tea and coffee black, but went back to milk because of dodgy results on an osteoporosis test. (I have a feeling you can get soya milk ith added calcium?)

And now I don't enjoy black coffee or tea as I used to.
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
  • Pentagon
    Pentagon Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I've never heard of a soya milk maker before but intend to google it now!

ETA: enlightened!
    You can also make a good sized block of tofu in it for about 15p worth of beans. My machine paid for itself within 6 months.
    Eating Out of the Storecupboards Challenge.
    Spend no more than £3 per week on non perishables until the end of Jan 2012.
    Week 3, 12 Dec £0 / £3
    Week 1 - 2, £2.65 / £6,
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Winchelsea wrote: »
    Interesting points about soya - thanks all. I'll maybe have a look at Alpro.

Forgot to add before that I used to drink tea and coffee black, but went back to milk because of dodgy results on an osteoporosis test. (I have a feeling you can get soya milk ith added calcium?)

And now I don't enjoy black coffee or tea as I used to.

The non-organic soya milks are fortified with calcium, vitamin D, B12 and a few others. Organic ones aren't, so I go for the non-organic. Even so the Alpro soya isn't made from GM soya and does not contribute to rainforest depletion - and even more importantly doesn't curdle in hot drinks! (don't get the 'light' version because that does curdle).
  • SpikyHedgehog
    Options
    Justamum wrote: »
    The non-organic soya milks are fortified with calcium, vitamin D, B12 and a few others. Organic ones aren't, so I go for the non-organic. Even so the Alpro soya isn't made from GM soya and does not contribute to rainforest depletion - and even more importantly doesn't curdle in hot drinks! (don't get the 'light' version because that does curdle).

I usually get longlife supermarket own soya milk, but couldn't the other week (as T3sco said they weren't doing it anymore for home delivery ? ) so got the Alpro fresh & it tasted much nicer.
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (24), DS2 (16), and the lurcher.
  • Justamum
    Options
    I usually get longlife supermarket own soya milk, but couldn't the other week (as T3sco said they weren't doing it anymore for home delivery ? ) so got the Alpro fresh & it tasted much nicer.

I've never tried the Alpro fresh - I usually use the longlife Alpro in coffee. Does it curdle?

For cooking and hot chocolate I use Tesco Value.
  • penguine
    penguine Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Winchelsea wrote: »

This page (from the website of a US vegan organisation) has lots of good info about bone health and reducing your risk of osteoporosis.

http://pcrm.org/health/diets/vegdiets/health-concerns-about-dairy-products
  • SpikyHedgehog
    Options
    Justamum wrote: »
    I've never tried the Alpro fresh - I usually use the longlife Alpro in coffee. Does it curdle?

For cooking and hot chocolate I use Tesco Value.

I have black tea & coffee, but I used it in hot chocolate & Errant Husband's tea & it was fine, though sweeter than he's used too - if I put it in his tea again, I'll use less sugar. It was not so good in cheese sauce, again because of the sweetness ;)

The boys will get through 7 litres of milk a week (Ds1 has 6 weetabix as his usual breakfast), and I don't like having that much milk in my fridge as it's not a huge one, and I really don't like getting it from T3scos Express near us as I have to pay more!
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (24), DS2 (16), and the lurcher.
  • Justamum
    Options
    I have black tea & coffee, but I used it in hot chocolate & Errant Husband's tea & it was fine, though sweeter than he's used too - if I put it in his tea again, I'll use less sugar. It was not so good in cheese sauce, again because of the sweetness ;)

I usually buy the unsweetened sort.
  • Sassia
    Sassia Posts: 64 Forumite
    Options
    I'll be following this thread with interest. I've been veggie for 26 years with a brief flirt with being vegan, but want to go back to it again. I need some ideas!
  • icontinuetodream
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your interest!! :D Haven't been on for more than a couple of minutes over the past few days due to being away so really pleased to see so many of you on board :j

So, today, the start of my challenge....I have cooked veg curry, chick pea dahl and rice....not exactly inspiring (sorry guys!!;)) but have just got back from lots of days away and haven't had time to come up with anything spectacular :o

I am cooking a tagine tomorrow (it's actually cooking now as will not be in until late) and will serve with mint couscous and salad....

Nom nom!!! :rotfl:
    Mortgage 12.12.12 £55842 12.12.13 £42716 14.12.14 £28837 13.12.15 £25913
    Mortgage OP £50/£600 House Fund £420/£5000
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family