The Forums Mods

Options
Boredatwrork
Boredatwrork Posts: 2,068 Forumite
edited 20 August 2018 at 9:48AM in Site feedback
Based on the threads/posts that have been pulled and on the reasons given, in terms of fairness and their political leanings, have a stab at how you consider them?

Left, neutral, right?

Fair, unfair?

This is not to try and incite a mob rule, just peoples experiences. Possibly in an attempt to manage both our and maybe even their expectations.

Comments

• peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Goodbye.,,,,
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    Options
    Threads expressing both left and right wing sentiments along with ones which are politically neutral have been pulled so there's no bias there.

I think it's just a knee jerk reaction whereby if one person reports a thread they take the easy option of deleting it.
  • Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 August 2018 at 10:28AM
    Options
    Threads expressing both left and right wing sentiments along with ones which are politically neutral have been pulled so there's no bias there.

I think it's just a knee jerk reaction whereby if one person reports a thread they take the easy option of deleting it.

Agreed except one point: it takes more than one report to pull a thread. So a band of a few like-minded users, or more often a clutch of AE representing one or perhaps two users, will click on the report button and lo! deletion occurs.

Yonks ago, when I was a newbie, DT and the Arms were a veritable battleground for two factions that just could not stand each other - nothing to do with politics except within mse. I was approached via PM and msn to report such and such in order to get their thread/posts deleted and them altogether banned. I fell for it twice, as there was a particularly obnoxious user who kept re-registerting (not Kronks, for those who wonder), but after that I decided that watching adults behave like toddlers was better than watching TV, so now, unless there is some gravely offensive material, I keep reading and not reporting. Even anti/pro-religion threads leave me unfazed. I did, however, report a user who was defending p.dophilia saying it was an innocuous sexual orientation. That sort of stuff belongs in the dark net, not mse, in my view.

Political views? Keep them coming, I say. If people do not debate, they cannot be challenged and we can't learn anything new, and as we are all adults (allegedly), we surely can tell the good from the bad (allegedly).
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,795 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    have a stab at how you consider them?

I consider them to be so few in number that they don't have the time or incentive to do much more than pull a thread if it gets lots of report buttons pressed
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    I consider that they take the line of least work. Reports = work, get more than one or two and it is easier to just delete the thread and rap a few knuckles.
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    Options
    Keep the mods but remove the report button in DT.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A couple of threads about conducting a fraud dispute with a credit card firm were removed yesterday.

A couple of posts or a whole thread about mobile phone roaming were removed over 10 years ago.

It isn't political at all, just pragmatic, minimise staff work.
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    redux wrote: »
    A couple of threads about conducting a fraud dispute with a credit card firm were removed yesterday.

A couple of posts or a whole thread about mobile phone roaming were removed over 10 years ago.

It isn't political at all, just pragmatic, minimise staff work.

In discussion time (where this thread originated) threads are being deleted almost daily now.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    parkrunner wrote: »
    In discussion time (where this thread originated) threads are being deleted almost daily now.

hourly sometimes :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport