Car insurance renewal time

Options
egyptiancotton
egyptiancotton Posts: 525 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
edited 11 August 2018 at 8:18PM in Motoring
My car insurance is up for renewal. Direct Line have offered a renewal price of £286, which includes legal cover and protected NCD. Guaranteed hire car cover is included as standard.

I had a look elsewhere and LV were competitive:
  • Standard policy: £260 - £21 cashback = £239
  • With protected NCD: £276 - £21 cashback = £255
  • With legal cover and protected NCD: £301.03 - £21 cashback = £280
  • With legal cover, protected NCD and guaranteed hire car cover: £320.93 - £21 cashback = £299.93
LV said that if I don't choose the hire car cover and mine is written off, then I wouldn't be provided with a hire car. My car came close to being written off in 2015 and I added the cover with the LV quote, just in case. Plus, my car is about 10-years old and so it would be at a greater risk of being written off.

Is it worth having protected NCD (currently have 10 years), legal cover and hire car cover? I used my legal cover for a non-fault claim a few years ago for personal injury and to fight the third party in proving the incident wasn't my fault (even though I was hit from behind). I suppose it's one of those things that you don't realise the importance of until you need it.

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Your legal cover probably saved you 25% of your compensation payment, so presumably you are quids in on that already - but all this is your decision

If you have a fault claim you will likely go down to 3 years NCD with no protected NCD

Do dummy quotes online with 10 and 3 years NCD (and a claim in your history) to see what difference it makes to give up the protected NCD
  • egyptiancotton
    edited 11 August 2018 at 10:56PM
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    Do dummy quotes online with 10 and 3 years NCD (and a claim in your history) to see what difference it makes to give up the protected NCD

Good idea. Interestingly, Zenith came out the cheapest at £353 with the same excess, hire car cover, protected NCD and legal cover. That was with 3-years NCD.

I ran another quote with 10-years NCD. Hastings came out at £340 with the same excess, protected NCD, hire car cover and legal cover.

There's very little difference between the quotes despite a 7-year NCD difference. Work that one out!
  • Quentin
    Options
    You say very little difference in quotes - but you aren't comparing like with like! (Especially with hastings in the mix!)
  • egyptiancotton
    edited 11 August 2018 at 11:07PM
    Options
    I don't understand. I thought the quotes were like-for-like; same level of cover. It sounds like I've misunderstood.

Edit: I re-ran the same quote with Hastings - 3-years NCD, protected NCD, legal cover and hire car cover - came to £420!
  • Quentin
    Options
    Some would say you get what you pay for - there is more to comparing insurers than just who is the cheapest!
  • egyptiancotton
    edited 11 August 2018 at 11:28PM
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    Some would say you get what you pay for - there is more to comparing insurers than just who is the cheapest!

Gotcha. The light bulb lit up moments after I replied when I originally said I didn't understand.

Like-for-like with Hastings, there's a difference of £80. Protecting my NCD costs an extra £31.52 with 3-years NCD. Whereas protecting my 10-years NCD costs an extra £14.

Edit: Did a comparison with LV. 3-years NCD (no option to protect) - £415.52. 10-years NCD (protected for an extra £15) - £333.34. Difference of £82.18. Surprising!

I think I'll protect my NCD. It's peace of mind.
  • peter12345678910
    Options
    But if you do have an incident even a no fault one the insurance will still go up. I am no Eienstien but if you do a dummy 3 year ncb you also have to add a dummy incident with no potected ncb?

I am sure you can't just take away 3 years you also have to give a dummy incident at a made up date.
    When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you. Nietzsche

Please note that at no point during this work was the kettle ever put out of commission and no chavs were harmed during the making of this post.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    But if you do have an incident even a no fault one the insurance will still go up. I am no Eienstien but if you do a dummy 3 year ncb you also have to add a dummy incident with no potected ncb?

I am sure you can't just take away 3 years you also have to give a dummy incident at a made up date.

That's not the case for everybody.
  • egyptiancotton
    edited 12 August 2018 at 10:44AM
    Options
    I had a non-fault incident in 2015 which I left on the quotes when I checked prices with 3 and 10-years NCD.

At the time of the incident my premium didn't increase, but on subsequent renewals I think I was subject to a small increase.
  • FreddieFrugal
    Options
    I'm with Directline - renewed last month - my policy and my wife's.

Their renewal price was the cheapest by far when I did comparison quotes. The other prices were higher than I had paid the previous year.

There's was lower by about £50.

Was very pleased - it's nice when your current insurer actually tries to compete for your custom rather than punish you with an overinflated price.
    Mortgage remaining: £42,260 of £77,000 (2.59% til 03/18 - 2.09% til 03/23)

Savings target June 18 - £22,281.99 / £25,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport