Eon

Options
Habib2342
Habib2342 Posts: 137 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
okay so I've just had my 6 month review from eon electricity and it turns out I've accrued a debt of £240 related to high usage during the cold months. They have now put in a payment plan for me to clear this debt by December 2018 by increasing my dd payment to £66.My contract with them expires in early September 2018 so if I want to come out of it before then I have to pay off the balance and an exit fee of £30.

However i am sensing a balance will still remain outstanding in december 2018 and they will tell me there is another balance i need to clear as what will remain outstanding in december will depend on my usage for the rest of the year. is this a sly trick by eon to get me to stay with them for my electricity beyond my contract period ? i was with first utility for two -three years before this and i never had this problem - my usage levels were the same with them. I actually left first utility with a credit balance due to me.

am i being paranoid,,,i dont know something seems strange here...

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,100 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Habib2342 wrote: »
    okay so I've just had my 6 month review from eon electricity and it turns out I've accrued a debt of £240 related to high usage during the cold months. They have now put in a payment plan for me to clear this debt by December 2018 by increasing my dd payment to £66.My contract with them expires in early September 2018 so if I want to come out of it before then I have to pay off the balance and an exit fee of £30.

However i am sensing a balance will still remain outstanding in december 2018 and they will tell me there is another balance i need to clear as what will remain outstanding in december will depend on my usage for the rest of the year. is this a sly trick by eon to get me to stay with them for my electricity beyond my contract period ? i was with first utility for two -three years before this and i never had this problem - my usage levels were the same with them. I actually left first utility with a credit balance due to me.

am i being paranoid,,,i dont know something seems strange here...

Is the review based on an actual or estimated reading? The bigger suppliers rarely stop anyone paying by DD from switching even if there is a debit balance. That said, if you decide to switch, the debit balance will become payable in full.
  • Habib2342
    Habib2342 Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    well first there was an estimated reading and they proposed increasing my payments to 91 p/m, then I went out and did an actual reading, submitted it online and the website said 84 p/m. I've just had a webchat with them this afternoon and they now proposed increasing it to 66 p/m...so I've signed up to that. however I'm sensing there will still be a debt accrued come the beginning of December 2018...
  • System
    System Posts: 178,100 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    well first there was an estimated reading and they proposed increasing my payments to 91 p/m, then I went out and did an actual reading, submitted it online and the website said 84 p/m. I've just had a webchat with them this afternoon and they now proposed increasing it to 66 p/m...so I've signed up to that. however I'm sensing there will still be a debt accrued come the beginning of December 2018...

E.oN has an online DD manager so you can set a monthly payment that works for you within limits. As I am sure you know, what you pay each month is somewhat academic given that it is nothing more than a ‘piggy bank’ from which charges are deducted. That said, suppliers should review your DD with the aim of achieving a zero balance at the end of your contract term.
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,878 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I guess the OP has been in an all-electric flat for less than a year, doesn't have a record of it's Summer consumption.

We are nearly into May, and whilst the heating might be required on a chilly evening, it's use will be soon dropping to zero, so each monthly D/D will be eating into the the £240 debt, so come September it will be greatly reduced or even non-existant.

Just make the £66 payments and see what the debt value is a month before the present contract expires, then pay it off and Switch supplier
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i was with first utility for two -three years before this and i never had this problem - my usage levels were the same with them. I actually left first utility with a credit balance due to me.
    But all you are talking about is the cost.
    I'm going to guess that the prices at E.ON are higher than the prices at FU (as all energy costs have increased over the past few years) so even using the same amount of energy, the bill would be greater.
    I spent more this winter than last as both gas and electricity are more costly on my current contracts. So I've paid more even without increasing use.
    I would suggest that you submit meter readings to E.ON every 2 weeks going forward so that you can keep an eye on your account balance. E.ON are very good at allowing multiple readings a month and you can generate a bill at the same time. One of the better billing systems in the retail energy supply business IMHO.
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning Habib2342,

Morning everyone, thank you for the advice.

We won't set the Direct Debit to trick or to stop you changing supplier, we'll use the information on usage and meter reads to get this set as [FONT=&quot]accurately[/FONT] as we can.

The best thing to do, is to keep on putting your meter reads on and get an up to date bill or balance. Then keep your eye on the Direct Debit manager. You can adjust your own payments with this by 20% with meter reads and 5% without.

If you do need some help though, please just ask.

Thank you

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    gsmlnx wrote: »
    But all you are talking about is the cost.
    I'm going to guess that the prices at E.ON are higher than the prices at FU (as all energy costs have increased over the past few years) so even using the same amount of energy, the bill would be greater.
    I spent more this winter than last as both gas and electricity are more costly on my current contracts. So I've paid more even without increasing use.
    I would suggest that you submit meter readings to E.ON every 2 weeks going forward so that you can keep an eye on your account balance. E.ON are very good at allowing multiple readings a month and you can generate a bill at the same time. One of the better billing systems in the retail energy supply business IMHO.

This, ^ ^ ^ ^ exactly. One thing I wish my supplier would do; their online account is practically useless compared to (apparently) Eon's so, OP, you have no reason not to know exactly what your balance is at any given time without having to work it out yourself. Having said which, I prefer to put in a bit of time and effort once a month and save money. :cool:
  • MoneyMate
    MoneyMate Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning Habib2342,

Morning everyone, thank you for the advice.

We won't set the Direct Debit to trick or to stop you changing supplier, we'll use the information on usage and meter reads to get this set as [FONT=&quot]accurately[/FONT] as we can.

The best thing to do, is to keep on putting your meter reads on and get an up to date bill or balance. Then keep your eye on the Direct Debit manager. You can adjust your own payments with this by 20% with meter reads and 5% without.

If you do need some help though, please just ask.

Thank you

Helena

Hi Helena, does E.on still send out meter readers now ? i think all my readings over the past years have been me alone. :beer:
    There are more questions than answers :shhh: :silenced:
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times :o
    :)
    :A UK Resident :A
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MoneyMate wrote: »
    Hi Helena, does E.on still send out meter readers now ? i think all my readings over the past years have been me alone. :beer:

Hiya MoneyMate,

Yes, we still have meter readers, although it is good to enter your own reads and I try and suggest this to customers as much as I can.

Thank you for entering yours :A

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • MoneyMate
    MoneyMate Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Recently compared future tariffs with E.on perhaps thinking these were the only and best for cheaper alternatives.

I was amazed that a better tariff was available through the MSE cheap energy club, but not available on E.on searches, I see now on the E.on site there is a note which has been added when checking tariffs
    Please be aware that other E.ON tariffs may be available through other channels, such as energy comparison websites.

Currently v1 changing to MSE v16, what a difference, don't forget to check others before changing tariff. :beer:
    There are more questions than answers :shhh: :silenced:
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times :o
    :)
    :A UK Resident :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts