PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Washing up liquid

Options
My dishwasher is unwell and the man can't come for a week, so we are 'enjoying' the delights of hand washing everything. I prefer Fairy Liquid as it really does get rid of grease but it leaves plates etc covered with bubbles so that they then have to be rinsed. That seems very wasteful of water. Can anyone recommend an efficient degreasing washhing up liquid with isn't all bubbly please ?

Comments

• joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,567 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    When I do washing up I usually use Morning Fresh, not as bubbly as Fairy but efficient. At the moment I'm using a really good one which I bought back from France when I was on holiday called Mir. Unfortunately not available here.

Denise
  • Debran
    Debran Posts: 349 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Never had this problem with Fairy liquid. Have you tried using a bit less?

I use Fairy Original - "Which?" top scorer with 85%. This is cheaper than Fairy Platinum Original which scores 81%.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've been using a large sized original fairy for the past 6 months. Am thrilled that a £2 bottle lasted so well, unlike the persil that's replaced it. I've never had a problem like you describe. My guess is it's either the quantity you're using or the water in your area creating so many bubbles.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use fairy as well, I do get bubbles, but assumed it was my cack handedness at using too much. I never rinse the bubbles off, just dry them.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have been using Aldi's own for years never a problem. Got good house keeping approval and about 49p.

I do put my washing up liquid in a pump dispenser. A couple of squirts and that's enough.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Couldn’t live with the idea of unrinsed crockery
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    IMO Fairy Liquid is the ONLY one that deals with grease on crockery/cutlery. Just dry it straight away with a tea towel.... I guess you still have those? LOL
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £325 of £366
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My dishwasher is unwell and the man can't come for a week, so we are 'enjoying' the delights of hand washing everything. I prefer Fairy Liquid as it really does get rid of grease but it leaves plates etc covered with bubbles so that they then have to be rinsed. That seems very wasteful of water. Can anyone recommend an efficient degreasing washhing up liquid with isn't all bubbly please ?

The active ingredients in washing up liquid are anionic surfactants (detergents). By their nature they do foam if you use too much. You might try pre-diluting ithe washing up liquid before you add a few drops to the sinkful of hot water.

Alternative degreasing agents are alkaline, which 'saponify' oils and fats (turn to soap). These will damage some kitchen items/ household surfaces, and will saponify the oils and fats naturally in skin if you do not wear gloves.

Much cheaper than Fairy but very highly rated by Which? is Aldi Magnum Premium.

HTH. :)
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Tiexen
    Tiexen Posts: 726 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Your "dishwasher" rinses
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Couldn’t live with the idea of unrinsed crockery

In almost 65 years of washing up by hand I must be odd in that I have never rinsed crockery in my life :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure