PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Washing up liquid

Options

Comments

• JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 23 June 2019 at 2:50AM
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    In almost 65 years of washing up by hand I must be odd in that I have never rinsed crockery in my life :)

New one on me I have never rinsed it, I thought the washing up liquid and hot water meant it dried quicker.

I recommend Aldi magnum. I do have a dishwasher, but always have washing up liquid to do baking tins.
  • pattypan4
    pattypan4 Posts: 520 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I rinse too, gets the chemicals off
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,913 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My parents' technique is wash up in one sink & deposit all that ls washed in another sink of darn near boiling water. Marigold-wearing child then removes rinsed very hot washed crocks, flatware etc up onto drying rack & third party uses tea towel to relocate clean, hot but evaporated dry plates off to shelf.

When there were five of us, it was a lot of washing-up but a companionable time. (We did excuse baby sis from stage 2 as she was too short/young/canny(?!) to reach things from the sink without getting near boiling water in the marigolds.)

I just am stingy on the washing up liquid & yes, another happy user of Aldi Magnum.
  • morganlefay
    morganlefay Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I used to go to France a lot and used liquids I bought there, but I did notice that the bottle always told you to rinse the dishes and I wondered why UK bottles don't advise that. It's not something I've ever done routinely when hand washing, but now I'm wondering ! Think DigForVictory's parents' technique sounds brilliant, but would need a second sink and team of children, mine, sadly, having flown away !
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    In almost 65 years of washing up by hand I must be odd in that I have never rinsed crockery in my life :)

Do you not get froth on cups of tea? :D Well I’m maybe a bit OCD about rinsing
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Really, all dishes should be rinsed and the bubbles' residue acts as a reminder. You don't have to leave a tap running or waste hot water - dunking each item in a bowl of cool or cold water should be enough to remove all chemicals as long as you aren't using too much detergent (the advised amount is always way too much)
  • greyfox
    greyfox Posts: 483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    joedenise wrote: »
    At the moment I'm using a really good one which I bought back from France when I was on holiday called Mir. Unfortunately not available here.

Denise

Mir is a Henkel brand in France, as is Persil in the UK. It's quite likely that the products are the same.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The only thing I bother rinsing after washing is wine glasses.

My neighbour rinses everything before putting it into the dishwasher, to the point where I wonder why she bothers using a dishwasher. I think it may stem from the days where dishwashers/dishwasher tablets weren't as good as they are now.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 23 June 2019 at 9:48PM
    Options
    I used to go to France a lot and used liquids I bought there, but I did notice that the bottle always told you to rinse the dishes and I wondered why UK bottles don't advise that. It's not something I've ever done routinely when hand washing, but now I'm wondering ! Think DigForVictory's parents' technique sounds brilliant, but would need a second sink and team of children, mine, sadly, having flown away !

In Olden Times we had a big kitchen sink with double drainer; I think the idea was that after washing, you could then refill the sink with plain water and rinse things piling them back up on the other drainer. Good system — I miss having two draining boards.

With UK w/u liquids not mentioning rinsing, i bet like most things it’s perception management as no brand wants to be seen as ‘the one you have to rinse off.’

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Do you not get froth on cups of tea? :D Well I’m maybe a bit OCD about rinsing

Nope ,never have .I just have a short squirt in the washing up bowl enough to get things clean .One of my DDs makes hers look like a mini bubble bath :) but its really not necessary. I only rinse glasses, mainly so they get a good polish before going back in the cupboard :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure