Halifax blocking additional cardholders?

Options
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone else is having the same problem as we are?

Halifax have recently announced that they will be requiring additional checks for any online purchases, which seems a good idea so far. However, the only options for these are by phone or through the app, which again doesn't sound too bad (although it does require you to have your phone with you, with charge and a mobile signal - already possibly problematic on holiday).
The real problem comes when you realise that this only applies to the main cardholder as additional cardholders can't register their phone numbers or for mobile banking. So additional cardholders are effectively blocked from using the card for online purchases as the checks will never reach them. Sure, the main cardholder might still be able to pass the checks, but only if they are contactable - in which case they could have probably made the purchase themselves anyway!

I'm now looking for a different card provider which does zero overseas charges and doesn't have these restrictions - or are they all like this now?

All the Best!

Comments

• Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can list 3 phone numbers plus the App so why not use one of those for the additional cardholder. Your 'work number' does not actually have to be your work number.
  • LazySaver
    LazySaver Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks Tom,

Interesting idea!
    I already have the three numbers entered but, as you say, I could replace the work number. Do you know if you get a choice during the purchase of which number to use?
    I also wonder if this would break any terms and conditions?

Cheers
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    LazySaver wrote: »
    I'm now looking for a different card provider which does zero overseas charges and doesn't have these restrictions - or are they all like this now?

I've used Creation for 5 years now, never had a single problem with them.
    https://www.creation.co.uk/credit-cards/creation-everyday-credit-card
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Candyapple wrote: »
    I've used Creation for 5 years now, never had a single problem with them.
    https://www.creation.co.uk/credit-cards/creation-everyday-credit-card
    But surely the point is that all credit cards are introducing two-factor authentication for online purchases by September, under the PSD2 implementation, so past experience isn't indicative of the new security regimes that are coming in?

That's not to say that all have exactly the same attitude to secondary cardholder phone details as Halifax though, so if you're saying that Creation are better specifically in this regard then that's useful for OP to know, otherwise they could just be jumping from frying pan to fire!
  • etienneg
    etienneg Posts: 468 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Surprisingly, this seems to be a common problem. Not only that, but card providers don't seem to have thought it through before implementation. I realise that two factor authorisation is coming in universally and improved security is a good thing. However, I would have thought this would have been a fairly obvious problem and that they would have changed their systems at the same time to recognise which card was being used and send the text to the appropriate phone. Apparently not!

I'm wondering if the only workable solution is not to have a secondary card - in other words, to have separate accounts so both card holders are primary card holders. Although this might be marginally less convenient (two DDs each month rather than one), I suppose there are potential benefits:
    1 If one card was lost or stolen, the other person would still have an uncompromised card;
    2 If the (original) primary account holder died, the other person would still have an account to use without having to make a new application at a distressing time.

What do others think?
  • Tom99
    Options
    Thanks Tom,

Interesting idea!
    I already have the three numbers entered but, as you say, I could replace the work number. Do you know if you get a choice during the purchase of which number to use?
    I also wonder if this would break any terms and conditions?

Cheers
    I would imagine it will be the same options you get currently when you set up a new payee so you can choose which number they automatically dial.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Going back to Lazysaver 's post can I ask why it would not be better for the additional cardholder to have a card in their own right and name?
  • LazySaver
    LazySaver Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The additional cardholder does not have an income and can't get a credit card in their own right (certainly not one with a useful limit that we can book holidays on).

In reply to an above post, I have now changed my work number to be the additional cardholder's mobile but I strongly doubt that it will work. We've had approval requests come through before occasionally and they just come as a text to my mobile - there were no options to direct the approval to one or other number.
  • Tom99
    Options
    In reply to an above post, I have now changed my work number to be the additional cardholder's mobile but I strongly doubt that it will work. We've had approval requests come through before occasionally and they just come as a text to my mobile - there were no options to direct the approval to one or other number.
    When you set up a new payee you have a choice of the 3 numbers. Set up a new payee and choose the 'work' number to see if it works.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure