Carling free glass scam

Options
Saw the packs of Carling in Tesco's, 18 cans an free glass so I picked up 2 packs. But read the small print and to get the free glass you have to install an app. That's what is says (see here). Condition a is buy a promotional pack, condition b is download and install the app. No other option such as send an email or fill in a web form or even maybe give glasses for the store to hand out so save all this single glass postage.

But the kicker is if you download and install the app on your smart phone it wants ACCESS to everything. location, phone id, CONTACTS LIST!

There is no reason for the app to want to access my phone contact list other than to use the names and numbers in that list. And why can't I just fill in a form online as would be the norm. At least that would be accessible by everyone (libraries have PC after all). Why does Carling only want people with smart phones to get a free glass?

Comments

• JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Really I'd be more concerned with the fact that by buying 36 cans of Carling you now have to drink 36 cans of Carling. One's too many. The real scam is in them calling it beer.

Anyway there's no scam here, you can get your free glass via their app. I'm presuming you've got an Android phone, Android is terrible with permissions and makes it easy to request permissions that it likely won't use. There's also possibly features of the app that require a contact list and so on (e.g. to send someone a message saying "I really hate both myself and you so let's drink Carling together") which because they're used, Android has to mention.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    And the problem is ? ………..
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you wanted a free glass or 2 just ahem "relieve" a pub of 2.

You can only claim 1 glass per person so you would only be able to get 1 using your number unless you have a partner and you could use they're number.

There's no scam.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    What a genius scam offering a free glass and people downloading an app then getting a free glass.

I think I can see a flaw in this cunning plan though.
  • malc_b
    malc_b Posts: 1,081 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Despite the constant warning about being careful with personal data it seems that some people have not got the message. Your contact list is valuable data which people want to buy. How do you think the scammers that send the "have been in an accident" or the "Claim your ppi back now" get the phone numbers?

Phone numbers and names are more valuable too ("Mr John Smith this is a warning text from you bank" - the sender knows you name so must be legit right?) Or "John this is your friend Bob" (sending from faked called id to match his real phone number) "I'm on holiday and had all my cash, cards, and passport stolen. Could you please wire me some money via Western Union to pay for an emergency passport....."

And scammers will have better scams no doubt.

And people wonder how they get scammed? Or why they get so many marketing calls and texts?

As for android makes it is easy to request data you don't need..... The app just has to turn that off. All other apps seem to manage to work out how to restrict content to just what they need why can't this one?

And if the glass was not just a loss leader to push the app why is there no alternate way of claiming the glass? Why does Carling want to push the app?
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    Next time buy a four pack and take one from the Dog and Duck!
  • Potbellypig
    Potbellypig Posts: 775 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    malc_b wrote: »
    Saw the packs of Carling in Tesco's, 18 cans an free glass so I picked up 2 packs. But read the small print and to get the free glass you have to install an app. That's what is says (see here). Condition a is buy a promotional pack, condition b is download and install the app. No other option such as send an email or fill in a web form or even maybe give glasses for the store to hand out so save all this single glass postage.

But the kicker is if you download and install the app on your smart phone it wants ACCESS to everything. location, phone id, CONTACTS LIST!

There is no reason for the app to want to access my phone contact list other than to use the names and numbers in that list. And why can't I just fill in a form online as would be the norm. At least that would be accessible by everyone (libraries have PC after all). Why does Carling only want people with smart phones to get a free glass?

I hate to break it to you, but all of your data is already out there. All the big corporations have got it and are using it. Asking you for access to your contacts list is microscopic compared to what they already know.

Good luck.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    On the newer versions of Android you can dig deep and restrict individual permissions for each app.

Most of the time my apps function just fine after I've done this.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I just installed the app on my iPhone and it didn't ask for any access to my data.

Could it be a feature of the operating system rather than the app? If so I can't see how Carling can be criticised.
  • Kingsd316
    Kingsd316 Posts: 1,394 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Just so you know you don't even need to buy Carling to get the glass, just upload a stock picture from the internet and it works the same
    :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport