Smart Meter Moan and EON

Options
3 years ago, Dec 2016, I was with BG and had smart meters fitted.

A year later I switched to Bulb and after 3 months the IHD went blank so I stuck it in a cupboard.

Then I went back to BG and the IHD started working again.

A year later I left BG and went back to Bulb so a friend and I could get £50 each and they were cheaper than BG as my deal had ended.

Since I switched from BG to Bulb the IHD kept on working, it displayed usage and meter readings for the 6 months I was with Bulb.

Then I switched to EON using the CEC switching service and the switch was finalised today.

And what did I see when I went downstairs this morning and looked at the IHD to check the time and temperature?

A blank screen.

If when with Bulb the BG IHD worked why can't it work with EON?

Will Eon fit a new smart meter and IHD so I don't have to go outside to read my meters again?

Comments

• Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    3 years ago, Dec 2016, I was with BG and had smart meters fitted.

A year later I switched to Bulb and after 3 months the IHD went blank so I stuck it in a cupboard.

Then I went back to BG and the IHD started working again.

A year later I left BG and went back to Bulb so a friend and I could get £50 each and they were cheaper than BG as my deal had ended.

Since I switched from BG to Bulb the IHD kept on working, it displayed usage and meter readings for the 6 months I was with Bulb.

Then I switched to EON using the CEC switching service and the switch was finalised today.

And what did I see when I went downstairs this morning and looked at the IHD to check the time and temperature?

A blank screen.

If when with Bulb the BG IHD worked why can't it work with EON?

Will Eon fit a new smart meter and IHD so I don't have to go outside to read my meters again?

Hello DavyJones61 and many thanks for switching to us.

We're looking to start upgrading customers with the earlier SMETS1 smart meters so they can be managed in the same way as the new SMETS2 meters. This includes being able to send us readings automatically so you don't have to. The IHD will be updated as part of making the meter smart again.

We'll also upgrade smart meters installed by another company and now supplied by us. This work will be done remotely so there'll be no need for a technician to visit your home. We're running trials now and are looking to start upgrading SMETS1 meters very soon. This work will continue throughout next year and, once done, we'll write to let you know.

There are some early smart meters (mainly installed from 2014 and before) where an upgrade won't be possible and we'll offer these customers SMETS2 meters.

Hope this explains DavyJones61 and thanks again for joining us.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Blot
    Blot Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    One question. Do the SMETS 2 gas meters still incorporate a non replaceable small battery to allow them to communicate ? I am aware that the batteries in the SMETS 1 have an anticipated life of 10 years but ours failed in less than 7 . It then, of course shuts off the gas supply when it expired (Landis & Gyr SMETS 1 ). Replacement was another SMETS 1 meter . Why not a low voltage feed from the electricity meter which is sitting alongside it ?
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Blot wrote: »
    One question. Do the SMETS 2 gas meters still incorporate a non replaceable small battery to allow them to communicate ? I am aware that the batteries in the SMETS 1 have an anticipated life of 10 years but ours failed in less than 7 . It then, of course shuts off the gas supply when it expired (Landis & Gyr SMETS 1 ). Replacement was another SMETS 1 meter . Why not a low voltage feed from the electricity meter which is sitting alongside it ?

Hello Blot and welcome to the Forums.

I don't know the answer to this so have passed it our technical team. I'll be back in touch as soon as I've an answer.

Thanks Blot.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Blot
    Blot Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I guess the technical team don't know either. ( or are keeping stumm )
    Options
    Blot wrote: »

I don't know the answer to this so have passed it our technical team. I'll be back in touch as soon as I've an answer.

Thanks Blot.

Malc

Hello Blot and, as promised, I've had a reply from our technical team concerning your question about batteries in gas smart meters.

Both SMETS1 and 2 gas meters have a battery that powers various parts of the meter. For instance, the measuring unit, digital display and circuitry including the device logs.

Currently, we swap the meter when the battery fails. We're looking to replace batteries in smart gas meters (both SMETS1 and 2) and have an ongoing project within the company to see how effective this will be.

The most energy intensive activity is the powering of the modem for communications. The battery life can vary depending on the environment and circumstances at individual properties. For example, the distance to the Comms Hub, thickness of walls or temperature around the battery particularly if outside in the cold. This means there'll be a natural variation in the life of meters with some failing earlier than others. We've seen a minority of early failures with the majority still operational in the field.

These gas meters are designed to be inherently sleepy devices. The modem is only used every 30 minutes to update the Comms Hub with its data. SMETS2 meters have improved designs with a life expectancy closer to 15 years. They also don't close the valve when the battery runs out which means the customer doesn't go off supply.

A low voltage feed from the electricity meter has many failings which make it impracticable. Among these failings are the following.

The large majority of gas and electricity meters aren't next to each other so we would have to run cables around a customer's home. This would increase installation times and wouldn't be a good experience for the customer.

If there was a power cut, the gas meter would also power down and stop recording usage.

The battery is behind a tamperproof seal. It would be much easier for a cable to be accidentally damaged or intentionally tampered with by removing the cable. This would also be more difficult to detect remotely.

The gas meter has to comply with certain safety standards which it does by being battery powered. Having an external power supply would make it more difficult to comply with these standards.

Sorry for the late reply Blot and I hope I've interpreted our technicians accurately. Please let me know if you need any more information as happy to help.

Malc
  • SeeMe
    SeeMe Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Thanks Blot.

Malc

Can you confirm you do NOT have to take a smart meter when offered on a 1 year fixed tariff
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I administer my aged mother's energy accounts as she has neither the Internet nor the experience and confidence to handle them for herself. She does, however, have enough nous to know that 'smart meters' are not going to save her a penny and that they are 'not for her', as she puts it.

When I switched her to Eon this year, I very carefully noted that the agreement made with them meant that she did not have to have a smart meter fitted - it was optional and she could refuse.

Now I (on her behalf) have started receiving emails from Eon saying 'You need to have your meters changed' and 'As part of your current energy tariff, you agreed to have smart meters installed.' - two direct quotes from Eon emails, both blatantly untrue and designed to bully the consumer.

Isn't it time that Eon stopped lying and misleading its customers in this way?
  • SeeMe
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    I administer my aged mother's energy accounts as she has neither the Internet nor the experience and confidence to handle them for herself. She does, however, have enough nous to know that 'smart meters' are not going to save her a penny and that they are 'not for her', as she puts it.

When I switched her to Eon this year, I very carefully noted that the agreement made with them meant that she did not have to have a smart meter fitted - it was optional and she could refuse.

Now I (on her behalf) have started receiving emails from Eon saying 'You need to have your meters changed' and 'As part of your current energy tariff, you agreed to have smart meters installed.' - two direct quotes from Eon emails, both blatantly untrue and designed to bully the consumer.

Isn't it time that Eon stopped lying and misleading its customers in this way?

Yes thats sounds naughty, hope they never insist but who knows what the company will do if you stand your ground.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    SeeMe wrote: »
    Yes thats sounds naughty, hope they never insist but who knows what the company will do if you stand your ground.

Well, they're welcome to give it a try. Misleading contractual terms (which is what it would amount to) is a serious business.
  • SeeMe
    Options
    Ok i see, not to clued up on these things.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure