🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Smart Meter Moan and EON

Options
2»

Comments

• Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    SeeMe wrote: »
    Can you confirm you do NOT have to take a smart meter when offered on a 1 year fixed tariff

Hello SeeMe and, yes, I can confirm with the fixed tariffs we currently have on sale you don't have to agree to smart meters.

On these tariffs you agree only to be contacted about smart meters. This is in section 11.1 of the T&Cs which says as follows.

With this tariff you agree to be contacted during the tariff term for the installation of a smart meter.

As I say, these offers can be rejected and you'll stay on your chosen tariff.

Hope this explains SeeMe.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • SeeMe
    SeeMe Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello SeeMe and, yes, I can confirm with the fixed tariffs we currently have on sale you don't have to agree to smart meters.

On these tariffs you agree only to be contacted about smart meters. This is in section 11.1 of the T&Cs which says as follows.

With this tariff you agree to be contacted during the tariff term for the installation of a smart meter.

As I say, these offers can be rejected and you'll stay on your chosen tariff.

Hope this explains SeeMe.

Malc

Malc thanks for that very helpful, was thinking about sign up but thought if i refused the smart meter offer, that i would be moved on to a more expensive tariff.
    Very reasuring thanks again.
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    I administer my aged mother's energy accounts as she has neither the Internet nor the experience and confidence to handle them for herself. She does, however, have enough nous to know that 'smart meters' are not going to save her a penny and that they are 'not for her', as she puts it.

When I switched her to Eon this year, I very carefully noted that the agreement made with them meant that she did not have to have a smart meter fitted - it was optional and she could refuse.

Now I (on her behalf) have started receiving emails from Eon saying 'You need to have your meters changed' and 'As part of your current energy tariff, you agreed to have smart meters installed.' - two direct quotes from Eon emails, both blatantly untrue and designed to bully the consumer.

Isn't it time that Eon stopped lying and misleading its customers in this way?
    Well, they're welcome to give it a try. Misleading contractual terms (which is what it would amount to) is a serious business.

Hello A. Badger and I'm sorry you're unhappy with our emails asking to install smart meters.

If your mother is on a tariff with a T&C containing Section 11.1 as above, there's no need for her to agree to smart meters. She's only agreed to be contacted about these meters and can refuse these offers. There's no penalty for refusing and she can stay on the chosen tariff for the remainder of the agreement.

I've spoken quite a bit about these tariffs and associated communications on another thread as below.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5948760/eon-smart-meters

As advised in this separate thread, I've been sending feedback from these Forums about some of our smart meter communications to those responsible for them. I'm continuing to do this and will include your post in this week's batch.

Thanks for the feedback A. Badger.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Options
    SeeMe wrote: »
    Malc thanks for that very helpful, was thinking about sign up but thought if i refused the smart meter offer, that i would be moved on to a more expensive tariff.
    Very reasuring thanks again.

You're welcome SeeMe. Happy to help.

As above, on all our tariffs with this T&C (11.1), customers can remain on the tariff for the remainder of the agreement even if they refuse smart meters.

Malc
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,856 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello A. Badger and I'm sorry you're unhappy with our emails asking to install smart meters.

If your mother is on a tariff with a T&C containing Section 11.1 as above, there's no need for her to agree to smart meters. She's only agreed to be contacted about these meters and can refuse these offers. There's no penalty for refusing and she can stay on the chosen tariff for the remainder of the agreement.

I've spoken quite a bit about these tariffs and associated communications on another thread as below.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5948760/eon-smart-meters

As advised in this separate thread, I've been sending feedback from these Forums about some of our smart meter communications to those responsible for them. I'm continuing to do this and will include your post in this week's batch.

Thanks for the feedback A. Badger.

Malc

Thank you. Perhaps you will report back to us when Eon actually does something about this dubious practice?
    Options
    Thank you. Perhaps you will report back to us when Eon actually does something about this dubious practice?

Morning A. Badger and I'll be happy to do this.

Malc
  • Mavericklady
    Options
    Hi I switched to Eon from Brit Gas to Eon 19 June 2019, before switching I rang Eon & told them I had Smart meters with BG. I asked if they would work after switching, answer was don’t worry after you have switched to us give us a ring. They told me that if they didn’t work with Eon they would put new meters in I have Smet1, meters.
    I rang Eon after switching & was told that they would now be working as a normal meters & I would have to supply them with meter readings. They told me they couldn’t replace the meters with the newer Smet 2, I then requested that due the fact I am on a pension if I couldn’t keep track of my usage could they fit Prepayment meters, that was also refused. Reason due to my age, I might fall going out to top up, so going out to get readings is okay. I have had many conversations on the phone & Twitter with no resolution. The last thing they told me that all the Smet 1 meters would be updated when the new software will be available, between 5 & 20 years. I won’t be alive in 20 years & possibly not in 5 years. The first bill for electricity I received from Eon was double what it normally is for the same quarter over many years, I questioned this as it wasn’t even for a full qtr of 13 weeks (10 weeks only) something must be wrong as this is the summer qtr with the hottest weather we have had since the 1800s.
    I am very disappointed with Eon & I intend to leave as soon as possible, though I see from comments I have no hope of ever having working Smart Meters again.
    My advice to anyone thinking of having Smart Meters installed & you might change suppliers don’t bother! It has been a night mare switching to Eon.
    Due to the fact that the Electricity bill charged double the usual I was sent a message informing me my DD would go from £48 to £74, then the next day to £83 that’s a £9 increase in 1 day! I can’t afford to pay that especially as it has been based on a bill that I know cannot be right. I stopped my DD & have been taking daily reading everyday which requires me to go outside. The very reason I originally had Smart Meters installed, so I wouldn’t have to go outside!
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,938 Forumite
    Options
    The very reason I originally had Smart Meters installed, so I wouldn’t have to go outside!

If you are on their Priority Service Register E.On will read your meter at least once per quarter. You can also pay by Variable Direct Debit (something most suppliers don't offer) so you won't find that your DD hasn't covered your usage and hence has to be increased twice, once to reflect the greater than expected usage and once to reclaim the arrears.

However this does mean that the bills will be higher in winter and lower in summer.
    Options
    Hi I switched to Eon from Brit Gas to Eon 19 June 2019, before switching I rang Eon & told them I had Smart meters with BG. I asked if they would work after switching, answer was don’t worry after you have switched to us give us a ring. They told me that if they didn’t work with Eon they would put new meters in I have Smet1, meters.
    I rang Eon after switching & was told that they would now be working as a normal meters & I would have to supply them with meter readings. They told me they couldn’t replace the meters with the newer Smet 2, I then requested that due the fact I am on a pension if I couldn’t keep track of my usage could they fit Prepayment meters, that was also refused. Reason due to my age, I might fall going out to top up, so going out to get readings is okay. I have had many conversations on the phone & Twitter with no resolution. The last thing they told me that all the Smet 1 meters would be updated when the new software will be available, between 5 & 20 years. I won’t be alive in 20 years & possibly not in 5 years. The first bill for electricity I received from Eon was double what it normally is for the same quarter over many years, I questioned this as it wasn’t even for a full qtr of 13 weeks (10 weeks only) something must be wrong as this is the summer qtr with the hottest weather we have had since the 1800s.
    I am very disappointed with Eon & I intend to leave as soon as possible, though I see from comments I have no hope of ever having working Smart Meters again.
    My advice to anyone thinking of having Smart Meters installed & you might change suppliers don’t bother! It has been a night mare switching to Eon.
    Due to the fact that the Electricity bill charged double the usual I was sent a message informing me my DD would go from £48 to £74, then the next day to £83 that’s a £9 increase in 1 day! I can’t afford to pay that especially as it has been based on a bill that I know cannot be right. I stopped my DD & have been taking daily reading everyday which requires me to go outside. The very reason I originally had Smart Meters installed, so I wouldn’t have to go outside!

Hello Mavericklady and I'm sorry you're unhappy with us. I must admit, some of the things you've been told are somewhat baffling.

If your existing SMETS1 smart meters are eligible, we'll do an upgrade so they can be managed in the same way as the newer SMETS2 meters. This includes being able to send us meter readings automatically so you don't have to. It doesn't matter that your meters were installed by another supplier. We're still able to upgrade them.

There's no way this will take 20 years or even 5. Our trials are well advanced and we're looking to start extending the project with a view to completing all upgrades by the end of 2020. There are a few exceptions where smart meters fitted from 2014 and before won't be eligible for an upgrade. If this applies, we'll fit new SMETS2 meters.

Upgrades will be done remotely so there's no need to visit your home and we'll write to let you know once it's been done.

I know where our advisor was coming from when talking about prepayment meters. We've a duty of care to make sure vulnerable customers are able to use these meters without compromising their health. If you told them you were okay using these meters, they should've booked an appointment to fit them and I'm sorry this wasn't done.

Are our bills estimated? If they are, we'll be happy to rebill to actual readings so they reflect the amount of energy you're using. As Gerry1 says, we can arrange for regular quarterly readings to be taken for customers on our Priority Services Register. Gerry1's also right about Variable Direct Debits. These collect the full bill amount once a quarter. As with Monthly Direct Debits, there are lower charges for paying with a variable arrangement.

I'm sorry you've had such a poor experience Mavericklady and for some of the wrong information you've been given. Hope this explains a bit better. Please let me know if you need any more information as happy to help.

Malc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport