Flights to South East Asia

Options
Hi all,

Once again I’m returning to my beloved home, or at least it once was, in Malaysia this summer. Long story short I was born in Thailand as my parents worked out there and went to boarding school in Malaysia for a couple of years. We’re having a sort of reunion gathering in August which I am co-organising. Last time we had one it was in February/March and flights were an awfully Lou cheaper. This time I’m looking at £750ish minimum unless I want to take two or three days and two or three layovers to get there. I can’t really afford to do that health wise as I think it would take more of a toll on me, I’m already pushing it by going and it will likely take a good while to recover from.

Anyway I was hoping that the collective brain of Ravelry might be able to help with any tips or ideas. Ideally I’d like to fly from Newcastle as it’s just up the road but would consider Manchester, Edinburgh or London if significantly cheaper, I need to be in Kuala Lumpur on the 2nd and am thinking of leaving around the 22nd.

Edited to add - I’d consider flying in to Singapore or Bangkok if cheaper and getting a regional flight down to KL, they’re very cheap.

Comments

• mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sounds as if overall transit time and comfort should take precedence over cost if you don't want to risk your health! For convenience Emirates out of NCL looks most sensible. Change in DXB for KUL (£750-ish) or go to SIN instead and save a measly £100 which you'll probably spend most on the local onward connection.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    I'd agree with the above based on current Skyscanner outputs.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,287 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you have any Avios or BA points? You can use them on Malaysian airlines...

MAS generally have two flights a day from Heathrow to KL, and the morning departure is often offered at low prices. In particular, if you were to buy a ticket using this flight to Singapore or Penang you would pay less than a ticket just to KL. Do check fares involving two singles as well as return tickets.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Norwegian have a narrow economy seat hell flight from Gatwick to Singapore.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,287 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    Norwegian have a narrow economy seat hell flight from Gatwick to Singapore.

And when I have checked fares, the MAS flight via KL actually costs less than this!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure