• PositivelyPerturbed
    Options
    Takes him about 25mins and he does the first floor too
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    £25 round our way!

I'd be happy with £15; but then again, I've only had our windows cleaned once. I had our windows washed once in four years at the last place.
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    I pay £15! He could come and do mine once.

Who pays £3.50? He could do five sets at £5 easily.

Yup, I pay my guy £17 (used to be £15) for the whole house, including outside of the conservatory (excluding the roof) and my garden office. He uses a water fed pole system with his own water tank, does a good job and always has time for a coffee and chat.
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    Takes him about 25mins and he does the first floor too

So he's barely making minimum wage (and that's before factoring in additional costs he would have that an employee wouldn't, like insurance etc.).
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'd at least do the "here's a fiver keep the change" routine every time, and then you are still getting extremely good value.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    He's obviously just keeping himself from going to the pub with that window round and I expect he's not in the least bit interested in the nuts and bolts of running a successful business. Good on him. It'd be good to be able to switch off and enjoy each day as it comes.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    glasgowdan wrote: »
    He's obviously just keeping himself from going to the pub with that window round and I expect he's not in the least bit interested in the nuts and bolts of running a successful business. Good on him. It'd be good to be able to switch off and enjoy each day as it comes.

I was thinking the same. He must enjoy it for that money. Everyone's a winner.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Yup, I pay my guy £17 ....................... and always has time for a coffee and chat.

I bet he does for that sort of money.
  • Heedtheadvice
    Heedtheadvice Posts: 2,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm wondering if there is some window cleaning etiquette that I don't know about?

Well it used to be rattle your ladder, whistle loudly but then beam a big smile if you caught somebody 'unawares' in their birthday suit!:rotfl::rotfl:
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    I bet he does for that sort of money.

Somewhere around £15 is about the going rate for doing all the windows on a 4 bed semi in the South East. For the time down and accounting for travel costs, equipment maintenance etc. it seems reasonable to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure