MSE News: BT to raise prices AGAIN - how to beat the hikes

Options

Comments

• duncansoton
    duncansoton Posts: 18 Forumite
    edited 27 June 2018 at 10:24AM
    Options
    JRG wrote: »
    BT have offered me a BT Plus Plan which includes Line Rental, but refuse to refund the Line Rental Saver I paid in December, which means it would cost me more than I would save in taking up their offer. Does BT actually want to keep their customers?

As mentioned above, both BT and OFCOM have stated in the past that a pro-rata refund should be given for the remaining months.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/nov/26/bt-wont-refund-line-rental-leaving-regulator
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    minislim wrote: »
    and only the other day i was wondering why people enjoy being ripped off by sticking with BT.

And posting about it.

This is an ideal time for you to link to the Plusnet deal that is a third (or even half) the price of what I'm paying BT. I assume you must have just forgotten to re-visit the previous thread where you mentioned it......

As for getting ripped off, if I decide to leave in by September due to the rise, BT will actually have paid ME £80 to use their services. Who's 'ripping off' who... :rotfl:

If you play the game, BT are actually one of the best ISPs to go with for monthly cost (or even to make money from), with their 9 month contracts and at least £200 bribe they offer at the start.
  • Birdman2015
    Birdman2015 Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I!!!8217;ve stuck with BT through the last few increase after getting a deal that meant I!!!8217;d pay the same but this time it!!!8217;s time to play the leave game then rejoin after the one I sign for increases.

Then collect the gift cards and Quidco.
  • thermalboyz
    Options
    Received the Email fee raise yesterday. so far BT had been providing reliable services in terms of Fiber Broadband as the DL and UL speed been consistent as in my package. I am planning to call them within the 30 days to see what they can offer me compare to my existing plan. Otherwise, i will need to compare to other reliable services service provider and plan for exit.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    When I renewed at the time of the last price hike (think I renewed in October), I was guaranteed that they wouldn!!!8217;t increase the price for the new 18 month term.

You have that guarantee in writing / email .
    I know my renewal same time scale came with no such guarantee .In fact the spiel included may be subject to price rise in the future .
  • mije1983
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »

When I renewed at the time of the last price hike (think I renewed in October), I was guaranteed that they wouldn't increase the price for the new 18 month term.

You have that guarantee in writing / email .
    I know my renewal same time scale came with no such guarantee .In fact the spiel included may be subject to price rise in the future .

On another thread, someone has said their email has said their BB increase is £0.00. When asked why, they said they were given a fixed price in January. So it's possible some people did get that.
  • P933alilli
    P933alilli Posts: 345 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 June 2018 at 1:43PM
    Options
    I ordered superfast broadband last Tuesday with landline & anytime calls for £36.49. While not particularly happy at the price I would have accepted it and thought it was fixed for 18 months. I rang BT an hour ago to ask if they would be increasing 'my' bill by £2.50 in September when i'd only just negotiated a new contract. After going away for 10 minutes the operator then came back to say my bill would be increased! So, ive cancelled the new order and now im back on my old plan which runs until September 20th. (Because my landline was paid in advance and terminated last month I need to wait until September for my broadband contract to end, my bills atm are £42+.) I can then either leave or negotiate a cheaper deal with my old copper broadband. To complicate matters my new hub is due tomorrow unless they cancel despatch in time and then I have to pay to send that back.
  • AndrewJB
    AndrewJB Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    When I renewed at the time of the last price hike (think I renewed in October), I was guaranteed that they wouldn!!!8217;t increase the price for the new 18 month term. However, are BT no longer honouring this? If not, I can!!!8217;t wait to leave beause the price increases are getting ridiculous.
    I moved to BT in February on an 18-month contract. The order email specifically says: 'Our prices and terms may change at any time while you're in contract with us. We'll let you know about any important changes before they happen.'
  • minislim
    minislim Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mije1983 wrote: »
    And posting about it.

This is an ideal time for you to link to the Plusnet deal that is a third (or even half) the price of what I'm paying BT. I assume you must have just forgotten to re-visit the previous thread where you mentioned it......

As for getting ripped off, if I decide to leave in by September due to the rise, BT will actually have paid ME £80 to use their services. Who's 'ripping off' who... :rotfl:

If you play the game, BT are actually one of the best ISPs to go with for monthly cost (or even to make money from), with their 9 month contracts and at least £200 bribe they offer at the start.

No not forgotten. just busy with my day to day life instead of wasting time on here all day constantly picking on people for their comments.

some might say trolling!
  • mije1983
    Options
    minislim wrote: »
    No not forgotten. just busy with my day to day life instead of wasting time on here all day constantly picking on people for their comments.

some might say trolling!

Nope not trolling, just asking you to substantiate a point you made which I believed was incorrect. This is a discussion forum after all! It seems you are unable to do that (thus proving my point) so have resorted to insults.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure