MSE News: BT to raise prices AGAIN - how to beat the hikes

edited 27 June 2018 at 2:04PM in Phones & TV
89 replies 15.1K views
MSE_Stephen_BMSE_Stephen_B MSE Staff
69 posts
Second Anniversary
MSE Staff
edited 27 June 2018 at 2:04PM in Phones & TV
Millions of BT customers are facing yet another round of price hikes from September, MoneySavingExpert can reveal, with line rental, broadband, TV, BT Sport and calls costs set to rise for some...
Read the full story:
'BT to raise prices AGAIN - how to beat the hikes'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply.

Replies

• ScoobyZScoobyZ Forumite
    425 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭
    From the email:

If you want to leave and you're within your minimum contract term, you'll need to call us within 30 days from the date of this email to avoid paying a charge for leaving early. You'll need to give us 30 days' notice to leave (or 14 days if you're switching to a new provider). We won't charge you for any increase in price during that time.
  • Bogof_BabeBogof_Babe Forumite
    10.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    However they are making caller display free apparently, which has to be a good thing.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• Ian011Ian011 Forumite
    2.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    New Ofcom rules require Caller Display to be free of charge from 1 October 2018.

Of course, most providers will simply put up other charges to cover it.
  • gettingtheresometimegettingtheresometime Forumite
    5.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    We have BT phone & internet and I think for us this is the last straw.

However we've also got a mobile sim only deal which ends in October - if we leave BT can we also get out of that as well?
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card / JD Williams cleared :) thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
  • earthmotherearthmother Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bogof_Babe wrote: »
    However they are making caller display free apparently, which has to be a good thing.

I've never paid for caller display - just pick the free 'privacy' option (which is basically an automated entry to the TPS database) and it's free - you just have to remember to renew it every 12 months.
    DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to [strike]be dealing with[/strike] have dealt with my debts
  • earthmotherearthmother Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    We have BT phone & internet and I think for us this is the last straw.

However we've also got a mobile sim only deal which ends in October - if we leave BT can we also get out of that as well?

The mobile contract will still be valid as the price hikes aren't affecting that, so you'll lose your £5 discount if you move your other services, but if you only have til October, the right switch will save you the extra £20-£25 in the first month (I know because I'm in the same situation).
    DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to [strike]be dealing with[/strike] have dealt with my debts
  • Money_Grabber13579Money_Grabber13579 Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I renewed at the time of the last price hike (think I renewed in October), I was guaranteed that they wouldn!!!8217;t increase the price for the new 18 month term. However, are BT no longer honouring this? If not, I can!!!8217;t wait to leave beause the price increases are getting ridiculous.
    Northern Ireland club member No 382 :j
  • edited 27 June 2018 at 7:36AM
    boatmanboatman Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 June 2018 at 7:36AM
    If you decide to leave because of the price rise:
    1. They have to refund any remaining line rental pro-rata if you paid for it upfront, against OFCOM rules if they don't.

2 If you took a mobile contract out along with your broadband you keep your £5 monthly mobile discount for the remainder of your 12 month minimum term. It's in their terms.

3. You get to keep the router with no additional charges. They may ask you to return it but this is a request, not a requirement.

With regard to calling them and telling them you are leaving because of the price rise and switching to another provider(with the exception of virgin) strictly speaking you shouldn't have to with 'gaining provider led' system that is now used, the new provider informs them. The reason they ask you to call is because they want the opportunity to convince you to stay. If they send you a letter/email, obviously they already know you have a right to leave within the next 30 days penalty free and if you do leave in that time they know it would be wrong to charge you a penalty. So although you shouldn't need to call them, the advice is to call and say you are leaving, it's often complicated by people having TV packages which may not be able to be cancelled because they can run independently of BT broadband, in many cases because the TV was taken as a package with broadband it's possible to cancel.
  • JRGJRG Forumite
    14 posts
    BT have offered me a BT Plus Plan which includes Line Rental, but refuse to refund the Line Rental Saver I paid in December, which means it would cost me more than I would save in taking up their offer. Does BT actually want to keep their customers?
  • minislimminislim Forumite
    350 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    and only the other day i was wondering why people enjoy being ripped off by sticking with BT.

and here's just another example of it!

it baffles me, the excuses for hiking are usually.

rising new installation costs (yet actual installation costs have apparently plummeted due to recent outsourcing of works).
    rising wholesale costs, even though line rental its still below £10 (yet openreach are part of BT so shouldn't they be able of offset this?).

when the real reasons are.
    top flight CEO's who's massively over inflated pay packets and pension pots that need filling. and now they sacked the current one they'll probably employ someone on even more money now! somebodies got to pay for it.
    Ludicrous amounts of money on TV rights for BT sport.