Will this work? Using a PAYG sim to skip roaming charges...

Options
Hi all, I am due to fly out to America next week and I want to use my mobile whilst i'm there, at the moment my (unlocked) iPhone X is on a pay monthly with o2, after speaking to o2 I have been told the best they can offer in terms of a roaming package is a £55 bolt on for the 11 days I'm there... So I was thinking, as a cheaper option could I use a Three network PAYG sim and take advantage of their low US roaming charges, specifically their Three 3GB Pay As You Go Trio Data Sim
I'm not sure if this would work I just wondered if anyone had experience doing this?

Thanks!

Comments

• flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Seems to be mixed reports as to whether this will work in a phone or not - particularly looking at Amazon Q&As. You probably won't be able to make calls/texts within the USA with it either. Maybe worth looking at getting a 3 MIfi unit too, still cheaper overall than o2
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,968 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Use the three network go roam feel at home package. £15 for 12GB data.

https://3g.co.uk/feel-at-home
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes, a Three PAYG SIM with a purchased bundle or any data SIM that qualifies for the 'Go Roam' service can be used in USA with the same tariff or allowance that would apply in UK. Calls to/from local US numbers are not included, and will be costly.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    Beware a data SIM will not work for phone calls. You just need an ordinary PAYG SIM with a top up. Check the Three site for specific requirements, you might need to top up and convert to a bundle of data and minutes.

As the other reply mentioned, calls to USA numbers while over there will cost the same as phoning them while in the UK.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Beware a data SIM will not work for phone calls.
    Mine does, so I assumed perhaps incorrectly that they all do. It's the Three 'Data Reward' SIM, the free monthly 200MB qualifies as an add-on giving Go Roam in the 71 countries for voice, text and data.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • virgo17
    virgo17 Posts: 955 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I use the 3 Internet with Legs PAYG card, also known as Data Reward.

200MB free per month and then 1P per MB. It also works for making and receiving calls and texts at the same cost as the 321 PAYG card.

I've also used it in Spain in an unlocked EE dongle and it works fine with Feel at Home allowances and costs. Going to try the USA next :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure