A New Adventure

Options

Comments

• AlanP_2
    AlanP_2 Posts: 3,253 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bugslett wrote: »
    Did you see gliding was on my list? Something I've fancied doing for a number of years!

On my list as well.

My wife bought me an introductory training package with the local club for Christmas, booked in for the end of March.

1/2 day Ground School followed by a 1 day Flying School (4 flights during the day).

I'm really looking forward to it, and hopefully it'll be something I can pursue when work no longer takes all the time up.
  • waveydavey48
    Options
    :
    MEM62 wrote: »
    You can put up with a level of crap when you know that there is light at the end of tunnel.
    You may know the old adage, beware the light at the end of the tunnel - it may be a train. :)
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Snorkling in the warm sea and 4x4 driving experience for me!
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • bugslett
    Options
    AlanP wrote: »
    On my list as well.

My wife bought me an introductory training package with the local club for Christmas, booked in for the end of March.

1/2 day Ground School followed by a 1 day Flying School (4 flights during the day).

I'm really looking forward to it, and hopefully it'll be something I can pursue when work no longer takes all the time up.

I'd be really interested to hear how you get on Alan, as a novice so to speak.
    crv1963 wrote: »
    Snorkling in the warm sea and 4x4 driving experience for me!

I can give you a truck driving experience, if you're quick:rotfl:
    Yes I'm bugslet, I lost my original log in details and old e-mail address.
  • k6chris
    k6chris Posts: 738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    North West.

I think my nearest club is in N Wales.

I know I won't be pursuing it this year, but it's high up the list for next year.

For when you do!!

http://www.denbighgliding.co.uk/

https://www.gliding.co.uk/club-finder

Most clubs offer 'trial flights' - phone up and book one, see if you like it and then talk to them about learning to fly. Some clubs are more suitable for beginners but they will be very open about that! Enjoy!!
    "For every complicated problem, there is always a simple, wrong answer"
  • mollycat
    mollycat Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A few thoughts, perhaps not totally in sync with a lot of stuff already posted but maybe a different perspective. :)

Worked since leaving school at 16, retired last April at 55. Absolutely hated my job, couldn't wait to go.

I've deliberately not taken up new interests/hobbies since retiring, taking a more "chill and smell the flowers" approach. I had the confidence in the fact that I wouldn't become bored and vegitate (and even if I did it's still better than working, right?) that I resisted the model of trying to manage activities in a formal way.

I deliberately didn't want a schedule where I had to be a certain place at a certain time; I wanted a break from that for a bit.

I do the same things now (apart from work!) as I used to; I just do them more often, at a time of week that suits me better than weekends, and with different people, (my OH retired in September she now wanders round the golf course with me!). Never been bored, never regretted a day going by where I haven't done much, never chastised myself for lying in bed later than usual....it's all fantastic.

Of course I have interests, hobbies and travel that I will pursue; but I'll get round to those; after all I now have my whole retired life ahead of me. Even if I didn't get round to doing some of the stuff I fancy doing, where's the harm, life is finite, but the things you can do between now and the end are not.

The vibe from (now ex) colleagues in the "you will need to get a part-time job/ you will get bored/ what on earth will you do with all that time", can, I think perhaps create a little bit of anxiety in that these things then may appear to be the dangers that they are not, as long if one is sensible and values their new found freedom.

I know everyone is different; if your way of managing the "what are you going to do with your time" question is to busy yourself up, great. For me , it hasn't needed to be like that and "resting up" after decades of work has been beneficial health wise.

The beauty of retirement for me is the choice "to do, or not to do", on a day to day (forever) basis. :)

Like I say, a different perspective; I know it won't suit everyone.

Good luck OP, and all fellow recent and soon to be retirees. :)
  • aldershot
    Options
    I retired from City IT in August 2017 just before my 54th Birthday. At my leaving party, I had a large badge on each lapel. One said "Not this" and the other "I don't know". It was a standing joke that I was fed up with everyone asking "What are you going to do all day?" as if going to work in an office was the only thing anyone could think of to occupy their time. I used to reply that if you weren't getting paid, would you come to the office anyway? If not, and you had reached "the number" it was time to leave and face the rest of your life. For some, a couple older then me, they seemed genuinely horrified by the prospect.

For my wife and I, we had planned the early retirement for years. We had moved to the Dorset countryside a couple of years previously and had been weekly commuting so our transition was already in progress. I don't think leaving work and moving quickly is a good idea as its too much change together and if you are unhappy after a year, you don't know why (that's the software development experience).

We spend a lot of time in the garden.
    We go to matinee theatre performances
    We go (together and separately) to the cinema on weekdays. One local independent is £4 all day!
    We now volunteer. Not having to earn an income for your time is a valuable thing. She does the NGS. I am now training to be a magistrate (which I find immensely rewarding and challenging).
    We look after family.
    We go out and do stuff.
    I have no idea how I found time to go to work.
  • bugslett
    Options
    Good point mollycat. My plan for this year is to have no plan.;). It's something a lot of non retiring people seem to struggle with!

I think ermine made a really good point a few days ago on a retirement thread, when he said that things you may think you want to do with your work head on, are different to what you will want to do after an period of retirement and therefore it's best not to make to many major (if any) changes in the first 6 months.
    Yes I'm bugslet, I lost my original log in details and old e-mail address.
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good point mollycat. My plan for this year is to have no plan.;). It's something a lot of non retiring people seem to struggle with!

I think ermine made a really good point a few days ago on a retirement thread, when he said that things you may think you want to do with your work head on, are different to what you will want to do after an period of retirement and therefore it's best not to make to many major (if any) changes in the first 6 months.

To a person all of my former colleagues who have retired tell me that 1) they don't know how they found time to work and 2) being the master of your own day with no deadlines is priceless.

When I had enforced time off due to ill health two years ago I found that i) I can easily fill my day, ii) I get fitter and iii) Mrs CRV and I don't get on each others nerves at all when we're together 24/7.

I'm busy trying to work out if I can go this time next year! Some I work with are staying working because they don't want to have empty days, I always suggest that they need to prioritise themselves.
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • mollycat
    mollycat Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Thanks!

I think I actually missed, or put poorly, the point I was trying to make in my post.

I think there's a potential trap for new retirees to fall into.

The trap is listening too much or giving too much value to the narrative from ex colleagues and others of "What are you going to do with all that spare time, you will get bored, you had better find a part time job etc", and then starting to think that this will definately be the case, and acting upon it.

The reality (for me, I appreciate others may have a different perspective) there is very little "spare time", and that the activities find you naturally rather than you having to seek out "stuff to do".

Went to bed last night with no plans for today; suddenly it's 11am and have walked dog on golf course, been to shops, done small DIY job have been nagged about for weeks and will pop in to see my elderly mother before lunch.

Like most people i know who have retired the thought isn't "what will I do with my time?", but a genuine bafflement of "how did i ever have time to work?"

I'm not advocating never planning what to do with your time immediately after retiring, I'm only suggesting it isn't necessary or valid to feel pressured into doing it in case something dreadful happens if you dont! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure