A New Adventure

Options

Comments

• bluenose1
    bluenose1 Posts: 2,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    crv1963 wrote: »
    I'm going to become a gardener in the summer months and a beach bum somewhere hot in the winter months!

That's what my retired husband has started doing, the gardening part anyway, helps pay for our holidays. He has built up a little round of local, elderly customers and gets a great sense of satisfaction. Just started by paying about £20 to advertise in local church newsletter.
    Money SPENDING Expert

• bluenose1
    Options
    Colombia wrote: »
    I’m really happy to have found this thread is very inspirational.I find myself in the same postion as some here.my situation is I live happily in Colombia South America I’m 58 years of age,though I’m Scottish, I return everyear to work the summer season as a waiter from April the 1st to October the 30th.Lovely to come back to the Uk but I hate the work and count every month till October and it always drags, finically I don’t have to worry and Colombia is about half the cost of living.therefore seriously thinking about not coming back and starting a new adventure.dont have any hobbies well enjoy cooking, but love the thought of having a dog I feel that would be a good thing for me walks company etc,,,I think Monday morning send my employer sorry not coming back and just see what comes along.everybody pressuring me in scotland Colombia,,,oh you’ll get bored , you need to be active .you need structure.so that makes me think maybe I’m making a wrong descion, but after reading all the comments let things come to you, you don’t have to achieve something everyday it’s your time you choose for yourself what kind of life you want.what do you all think....

You could always take a year off from waitering and see how you feel then. If I listened to some of the colleagues in my work I would be working until 70. Everyone has different opinions and if you can afford it why not give it up.
    Do you intend to stay permanently in Columbia? Always amazes me how people end up living so far away. I have always lived in Liverpool and live in the house that my husbands mum and dad owned, not very adventurous I know.
    Money SPENDING Expert

• bugslett
    bugslett Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    bluenose1 wrote: »
    You could always take a year off from waitering and see how you feel then. If I listened to some of the colleagues in my work I would be working until 70. Everyone has different opinions and if you can afford it why not give it up.
    Do you intend to stay permanently in Columbia? Always amazes me how people end up living so far away. I have always lived in Liverpool and live in the house that my husbands mum and dad owned, not very adventurous I know.

Quick wave from across the Mersey;), at the end of a shiny new bridge:D.

I once did the 19/5 thing, but struggled I found a 7 hour window much easier. By the by as I generally feel that tired with stress I'm not putting any restrictions on myself until I retire.
    Yes I'm bugslet, I lost my original log in details and old e-mail address.
  • londoninvestor
    Options
    k6chris wrote: »
    "I'm going to take the summer off and then look for something else in the Autumn....." :rotfl:

So so true :rotfl:
  • k6chris
    k6chris Posts: 738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    ...just a quick update as I realised I only have 8 working days to go....

So happy :)
    "For every complicated problem, there is always a simple, wrong answer"
  • bugslett
    bugslett Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options

:j:j:j. Woohoo! We expect updates on how retirement is meeting your expectations:T

39 more operational days for me.....seems a long way away.;)
    Yes I'm bugslet, I lost my original log in details and old e-mail address.
  • bluenose1
    Options
    bugslett wrote: »
    :j:j:j. Woohoo! We expect updates on how retirement is meeting your expectations:T

39 more operational days for me.....seems a long way away.;)

Wow, K6chris and bugslett- congratulations both of you, the end is in sight. I still have over 2 years so still a way off. Unless a Redundancy scheme comes up which wouldn't surprise me.
    My spreadsheet is primed, ready for all possible scenarios .:)

What do you both intend to do first few months? , any thoughts. I think mine will involve holidays. X
    Money SPENDING Expert

• Colombia
    Colombia Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for your advice,, yes I will end up here pernamently as have a great life style here that I would never be able to have in the Uk. Just a bit scared of making the full comiment ,, maybe a year off would be the way to go , thank you.
  • k6chris
    k6chris Posts: 738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    bluenose1 wrote: »

What do you both intend to do first few months? , any thoughts. I think mine will involve holidays. X

...not work..... :rotfl:
    "For every complicated problem, there is always a simple, wrong answer"
  • Triumph13
    Triumph13 Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

Congratulations! And thanks for a great thread. It's taken me 3 days to read through it as I'm just way too busy now I'm retired :) So many things people have said have chimed with my own experience. Hardly any of the plans I had coming into retirement have happened yet. I had hoped to start swimming regularly and using the gym, but I've been so busy doing manual labour in the garden I haven't had the time, energy or need. Those lazy mornings curled up with a book somehow never seem to happen as there is always something more important to do. TV only gets turned on during the day if I have a big pile of ironing to tackle. Life is good, but far too busy!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure