Voluntary Class 3 NI Contributions – How to Pay

Options

Comments

• laineybabes
    Options
    yeah, checked bank and sort code details loads of times as I became paranoid. Used the HMRC account of 08 32 20 a/c 12001004 which is the same as been posted on this forum so all good. Hopefully it'll turn up soon. Thanks
  • fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,811 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I made a voluntary payment for 16/17 on 20th March. It still hasn't shown up in my record, so it seems you might wait a while longer...
  • caveman8006
    caveman8006 Posts: 126 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When I chased up my missing top-up after 4 weeks, I was told that they would credit it there and then, but that if I hadn't chased it might take many more weeks, so always best to ring again
  • laineybabes
    Options
    Shocking service at HMRC. Why does it come out of bank account immediately but not show up at their end?
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Shocking service at HMRC. Why does it come out of bank account immediately but not show up at their end?

I believe putting it on your records is a manual operation. Like Caveman I chased mine up and the woman I spoke to was very helpful and sorted it out it there and then. I get the impression that the imputing is more random rather than being done in strict order of payment.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,401 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options

The money is there instantly but your record not just updated instantly. Mine took around 6/7 weeks to show on my record but other than checking it's there what's the problem?
  • laineybabes
    laineybabes Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 26 April 2019 at 11:49AM
    Options
    Problem is, I paid it on the 15th via bank Faster payment service using the 18 digit reference. I telephoned them on the 24th to ask to have it allocated to 17/18 year and they said they had no trace of my payment. I have no problem checking my account online, even if they tell me it'll take a year to udate, my issue is they have not received it yet and it came out my bank instantly. As long as they confirm they have the payment I am willing and able to check my account perodically for udate.
  • NIMBUS10
    NIMBUS10 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    I after a lot of thought and research (mainly from MSE) I decided to bite the bullet and purchase extra years.
    My first port of call was the NI dept who confirmed how many years short I was and which years to purchase...non pre 2016. I was told to speak to Future Pensions and they also confirmed how many and which ones to buy and what the outlay would be.

I went back to NI dept who took the details of which years I wanted to buy, added the figures and also gave me a balance to pay, I was given the long reference number and sort code and account number (all of which I read back to them) in which to pay.

I went on to my bank website and found that the sort code and account number I had been given was in the drop down box when I put in that HMRC as the recipient ( there were a lot of depts. on there such as VAT, Farm Allowances etc) I chose the one that matched the bank info I had been given and that said Voluntary Contributions Class3.:)

I paid using the faster payment system and that was it.

The only thing I found a bit neglectful (at this stage) was that there was no receipt system telling me that the payment had arrived.
    Even more worrying was that (as others have said here) was that my NI record was unchanged, I did ask how long would it be before I would see a change in the record and I was told " it could be months". I was told to give it 10 working days and if nothing had changed call them.
    It was a long 10 days!

I called, and I am pleased to say that I had confirmation that the payment had been received on the day I sent it plus the record would be updated whilst I was on the phone, the changes would show the next day....and indeed they did and all was correct.

I was asked at this point would I like a paper confirmation of what years had been bought, what the total years are and how much had been paid for each year and the combined balance paid? I said yes and this arrived a couple of days later, again all correct.

So my experience in purchasing extra years was smooth and was fully explained....it was just the fact that I didn't have some sort of confirmation that they had the money that was a bit stressful.

The call handlers on both lines were very easy to deal with and at no time did I feel rushed....obviously it was made fully aware that they can only tell you how you stand, they cannot advise what you should do....I would have found it a bit strange if they had done so really.

I can still buy a few more years...more expensive to do so now though since April....but I have to balance that to having to make sure I will live long enough to break even!:D

If anyone is apprehensive of doing this.....all I can say is that the system worked for me and was all done in no more than an hour.
    Always print off the screen too such as your pension forecast, NI years balance and the payment screen on the banking website...just in case!
  • laineybabes
    Options
    I agree with all comments. The service from the customer advisors is excellent given what they have to deal with on a daily basis. It's the system regarding the udating of the payments that is not too great. It appears not to be an automatic updaye and relies on someone inputting payment manually, both inconvenient and time consuming. Again my worry is that my last payment was received and confirmed as received soon after I made it via bank, this payment there is no trace of it being received yet. I would expect that even if my account had not been updated to show payment, someone would be able to confirm taht it had actually been received. That is my concern, that my payment has gone astray.
  • newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    edited 3 July 2019 at 3:37PM
    Options
    I agree, some sort of 'receipt' would be good. Just this week, after speaking to Future Pensions and HMRC, was asked specifically which years I wanted to pay for and given the 18 digit code beginning with 60 and paid for two 'missing' years by BACS. I came on here today to find out how long it will be before it shows up on my online record, as so far £1521 has disappeared from my bank account, but nothing has appeared in my NI record, and that's quite a worry!
    I've set up a DD to pay the rest as I have another 5 years to pay.
    Future pensions were really very helpful. They advised me not to pay 2015/16 as it would be of zero benefit, and also my final year as it would only improve my pension by 34p a week! Glad I rang them, otherwise I would have just coughed up for the lot.
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback