Travel to where in June / July / August?

Options

Comments

• Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,137 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Island hopping in Greece? No need to fix a route in advance, just make it up as you go along. If you are looking at 3-4 weeks away then that gives you plenty of opportunity for an adventure. I get bored if I'm in the same place for more than a week.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is it your plan to stay in one place and go for days out or are you planning on putting a tour together?

Might you consider an apartment and some self catering?

Do you like sightseeing or is it more of a beach holiday you have in mind (you mentioned waterparks)?

Also, not sure how old your dad is and what sort of travel he's up to as some places are very hot in August.

Generally I'd say you'll get better value in June and early July than the rest of the time you mentioned.

To the poster who seems to derive some satisfaction from posting negative comments
    : the whole purpose of this board is to share holiday information. I think you missed the point. I believe there is another board where you can just post ignorant remarks.
  • SweptAside
    SweptAside Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 25 April 2019 at 6:10AM
    Options
    cubegame wrote: »
    Do you want a beach holiday with a few days out or a proper adventure?

Your post suggests the former, in which case there is not that much point straying beyond Europe in the summer months.

Beach holiday yes. Adventures sound like alot of faffing about :)

Doshwaster wrote: »
    Island hopping in Greece? No need to fix a route in advance, just make it up as you go along. If you are looking at 3-4 weeks away then that gives you plenty of opportunity for an adventure. I get bored if I'm in the same place for more than a week.

When you say island hopping do you mean within Greece or the surrounding areas near Greece like Italy, Bulgaria etc. If there is a particular place in Greece with lots around it closeby then we may be up for that. Moving about day to day into different hotels or different countries probably not. I can see the appeal though, we would just find it far too stressful.

maman wrote: »
    Is it your plan to stay in one place and go for days out or are you planning on putting a tour together?

Might you consider an apartment and some self catering?

Do you like sightseeing or is it more of a beach holiday you have in mind (you mentioned waterparks)?

Also, not sure how old your dad is and what sort of travel he's up to as some places are very hot in August.

Generally I'd say you'll get better value in June and early July than the rest of the time you mentioned.

Early July before the kids break up will probably be the plan, The UK that is. I know EU tend to finish late May early June.

My Dad just turned 50 by the way but isn't really a hang around the Hotel pool sort of bloke. He just as I will want the trips as well as rest days around the beach, pool and what not and even though we are not big drinkers we will probably spend quite a bit of time in the bars during the day or at night. He's fine with the heat by the way.

As for self catering I have always done that in the past and will probably do so again. I prefer choosing my meals and places to eat from. Wherever we settle for I'll definitely be reading the reviews online for best recommended food places to try :). and as for hotel, apartment we'll sort that out once we settle on a destination. I don't mind either way but in the past I tend to settle for a decent star rating hotel with good reviews.

Beach holiday for sure.

My Dad likes the sound of Cyprus. The Egypt one mentioned is an interesting one. Greece as mentioned above as well is another place well recommended. With me within Europe I don't really mind where I go providing it's warm and has a lot of things to do.

We have never visited any of the above including Bulgaria or Croatia. I think those were also mentioned. Just had to edit to add something else as well a minimum of 2 to a maximum of 3 weeks we have decided on. We will check the overall costs when we come to booking something.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Egypt is unbearably hot in the summer months.
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Take a look at the Azores. Won't be too hot but is very beautiful and there are good beach options and it's a bit more interesting than the normal destinations.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If budget is an issue, some of the cheapest places I have ever visited were Georgia; India and Southeast Asia (Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia). Georgia is not far (four-hour flight) and last year the air ticket was under thirty pounds each way. Budget accommodation was around five pounds a night. And there was loads to see, do and enjoy. Georgia has a coast and beaches (I did not visit) and the city of Batumi has been developed as a seaside resort.

The other places I mention are rather further away, more suitable for a three or four week visit. Thailand is always hot but the rainy season is around August: I found it to be fine for a beach holiday but some paths on the island were muddy from the occasion showers. India is unbelievably hot in early summer and then the rainy season brings relief, but a resort somewhere like Goa would probably be pleasant even then.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    If budget is an issue, some of the cheapest places I have ever visited were Georgia; India and Southeast Asia (Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia). Georgia is not far (four-hour flight) and last year the air ticket was under thirty pounds each way. Budget accommodation was around five pounds a night. And there was loads to see, do and enjoy. Georgia has a coast and beaches (I did not visit) and the city of Batumi has been developed as a seaside resort.

The other places I mention are rather further away, more suitable for a three or four week visit. Thailand is always hot but the rainy season is around August: I found it to be fine for a beach holiday but some paths on the island were muddy from the occasion showers. India is unbelievably hot in early summer and then the rainy season brings relief, but a resort somewhere like Goa would probably be pleasant even then.
    The main season in Goa starts in November.
    Before that, it's pretty rainy - some people we know say they don't go out for weeks at a time as it just rains and rains.
    Some people go out of season specifically for the monsoon experience but it doesn't sound like that's the sort of holiday the OP is looking for.
  • John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    How about a US road trip?

For example, the Los Angeles > Pacific Coast Highway > San Francisco > Yosemite National Park > Death Valley > Las Vegas > Los Angeles loop would have provide a great variety of cities and scenery of different types.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dm83WCMdWM&list=PLb-8Gy55ZLXaVGaWY3_O_KUo2H5cgmb7P

If everyone likes the national parks, then the Grand Circle would be a good choice. Las Vegas > Zion > Bryce Canyon > Capitol Reef > Arches and Canyonlands > Black Canyon of the Gunnison > Mesa Verde > Grand Canyon > Las Vegas.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWZ7GUQzuR0

If everyone wants a slower and gentler pace, then Washington DC > Shenandoah National Park > Blue Ridge Parkway > Great Smoky Mountains National Park > Chattanooga or Charlotte or Atlanta.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UExeCMJ1RuQ

Obviously there are umpteen other possible routes.
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    John259 wrote: »
    How about a US road trip?

For example, the Los Angeles > Pacific Coast Highway > San Francisco > Yosemite National Park > Death Valley > Las Vegas > Los Angeles loop would have provide a great variety of cities and scenery of different types.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dm83WCMdWM&list=PLb-8Gy55ZLXaVGaWY3_O_KUo2H5cgmb7P

If everyone likes the national parks, then the Grand Circle would be a good choice. Las Vegas > Zion > Bryce Canyon > Capitol Reef > Arches and Canyonlands > Black Canyon of the Gunnison > Mesa Verde > Grand Canyon > Las Vegas.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWZ7GUQzuR0

If everyone wants a slower and gentler pace, then Washington DC > Shenandoah National Park > Blue Ridge Parkway > Great Smoky Mountains National Park > Chattanooga or Charlotte or Atlanta.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UExeCMJ1RuQ

Obviously there are umpteen other possible routes.

Budget might be a problem with this.
  • John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Budget might be a problem with this.
    Yes, it might, but with some research (such as using Google Maps to search for motels) costs could be controlled to some extent.
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport