Much disruption & mess fitting meter?

Options
Hi all,

It seems that I could save about £25 per year by having a meter fitted.

Not a great saving but it all helps, but with two children under 3 I'm concerned about what actually fitting the meter entails.

Can anyone tell me if it takes very long, and does it make much mess and cause a lot of disruption?

Cheers,

Dom

Comments

• weekendwarrior
    Options
    Hi Dom

should only take about 1-2 hours!

Normally the meter is changed at entry to the boundary of the property, so no inconvenience apart from having no water for the time it takes to change it!

Fill as many bottles/ pans with water before they arrive and you should be ok!

after it has changed don't open the hot tap! Let the cold tap run for 5 mins as this will clear out any dirt from the pipe, which you do not want to go into the boiler, hence running the cold tap!

Good luck
  • uncle_buck_3
    Options
    DomDulley wrote:
    Hi all,

It seems that I could save about £25 per year by having a meter fitted.

Not a great saving but it all helps, but with two children under 3 I'm concerned about what actually fitting the meter entails.

Can anyone tell me if it takes very long, and does it make much mess and cause a lot of disruption?

Cheers,

Dom
    Don’t be silly M8…..having a meter isn’t worth the £25 saving!

Without a meter you use your water without thinking about it (No I’m not saying that you are wasteful with your water)

However with a meter every time you flush the toilet you picture the little dial on the meter spinning around….its torture!

Our meter is compulsory & yes we (just 2 of us) will be saving approx £100 a year based on my calculations & bills so far this year….but I would gladly get rid of the meter & the saving to stop this torture!

Don’t do for the sake of £25…it’ll cost you more than that for Valium!!
  • DomDulley
    Options
    Thanks to both of you - I must admit that judging by the amount of water we use at the moment a meter is probably a recipe for an ulcer :)
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    For a £25 saving its definately not worth having a meter, as for having it fitted it depends on what supply you have if its a joint supply if will be fitted internally where the water enters the property, if its not a joint supply it will be fitted externally (depending on water co. policy) and they will replace the old stop tap
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure