PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Retrospective Right to buy discount

Options

Comments

• WasntMeHonest
    Options
    I also moved in Dec 2007, had i moved in Oct 2007 it was still a council property and i would have had the same right to buy anyway, As i missed it by 2 months it was then transfered to housing association and these rules changed
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    I also moved in Dec 2007, had i moved in Oct 2007 it was still a council property and i would have had the same right to buy anyway, As i missed it by 2 months it was then transfered to housing association and these rules changed

So...?

If youre too late, youre too late. Plus, it would still have been sold to the HA.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

So you don't actually know whether it would have been possible to buy that particular property under right to buy. Not all properties are included in Right to Buy. Property adapted for disabled people isn't included. Property suitable for disabled people like bungalows may also not be included. Just because you are a council tenant or housing association tenant doesn't mean that you automatically have the right to buy the property you live in. Some properties are exempt and can't be sold.
  • WasntMeHonest
    Options
    Right.
    I am not or will not be returning to work,
    I fully understand whats required to maintain a property as previously said i sold my property paid remaining mortgage off due to ill health.
    smodlet - i read all that ages ago, its very brief to be fair and i also did all the uusal sign up to the newsletters etc I dont understand what you mean by find no evidence?? I sat there watching some of it on Parliament tv at the time. followed it through both houses, and through the final passing of the bill to the queens stage. Are you saying its not been passed then??

As also stated i have been told they will sell it and have offered me a £9000 right to acquire discount. Ive just seen someone saying it might not even be able to buy it if its adapted. I have already said they have agreed to sale. If i decide that is
  • WasntMeHonest
    Options
    That higher discount would go a long way for me to also adapt it for a better quality of life and help me try and live with my illness. Maybe my morals are wrong, but are these better than peoples morals of saying their heart aches or i should be greatfull. each to their own i suppose . I mean if i was to provide my own adaptations and things to help my life and illness and not have to rely on grants or whatever to help rather than do it myself then shoot me down .
  • diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    But there wouldn't be any difference between a grant and the right to buy discount. It's all a handout which you should be greatful for. I get £1000 for every £4000 I can save towards a deposit and I am incredibly grateful for it. If they took it away tomorrow I would be annoyed but wouldn't stop me saving. If they introduced this 2 years after I bought a house I would be annoyed but wouldn't go asking for a backdated cheque.
    You have almost all benefits of being a home owner as a HA tenant without any of the costs. But they are giving you the chance to be a home owner again with a £9k head start, which is a win if you want to own that home
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
  • WasntMeHonest
    Options
    yes i do. Like ive said maybe i was typing it as you were typing yours. If id of moved in on oct 2007 it was council and i would have then built up the years and bought it through Right to Buy, unfortunately i moved in dec 2007 just after it was transfered to Housing assoc. I then had to build up my years to qualify. I can now, and they will sell it but only as Right to Acquire. Id have to wait in hope till its in my area. Then even though the bill in 2016 give us housing tenants the same discount levels as right to buy. If i lived a few miles down the road and in the new trial area id have it now. Can you see my point. I would have had to build up there years required either way. They will sell it just not give me the full discount ive built up until they roll it out. No doubt i can buy it, no doubt i can have discount. no doubt ive acummulated a £38,000 discount. just they wont give me it yet. What would you do?? It real would make a massive difference to my quality of life and i dont mean big tvs lol to cope with my illness
  • WasntMeHonest
    Options
    theyre is a considerable difference between the £38000 discount ive accumulated and the £9000 on the table at the minute. Im sure i dont have to tell you what a difference that could make to a ill disabled person who is only in his early 40s with no long term change. I could do all i needed to and never have to have any grant, help or ask. Self sufficient coping with my diasblement to a certain extent. I have a friend i met in hospital now in a wheelchair for life due to a drink driver, yes he got a huge pay out etc but hes done it all be it with a much greater budget. Im a really that immorally wrong to try to the same?
  • WasntMeHonest
    Options
    just to clarify. If i had moved in oct 2007 when it was still council i would have qualified for right to buy although i would have had to build up the required years to apply. The fact it was still council had i moved in then still stands. Ive checked all this. It only changes when its transfered to these quite frankly dodgy private housing associations. From the day i moved in my years start to accumulate all be it housing assoc now. Ive still built up these years discount and I am entitled to them in the passing of the bill. Am i wrong??? Its just a case of when...... surely i have a right to even ask if there is any future rebate, talk of it, or grounds to start pushing this with my M.P
  • WasntMeHonest
    Options
    At the minute its basically a postcode lottery that will be rolled out at some point. Maybe the £190 million spending plan for 2019 is a hint but who knows.... brexit looming and all that, will it be pushed to the back again..................
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure