MSE News: Hundreds of thousands could miss out on tax rebate

Options
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Hundreds of thousands of taxpayers who have moved home over the past few years must tell the taxman or risk missing out on a rebate that could be worth hundreds of pounds ..."

Comments

• dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I see absolutely nothing wrong with this, yet another non story intended to yet again slag off those who work for HMRC.

Changing address and keeping people updated of their new address is and always has been the responsibility of the individual.

When you change address do you phone the utility company/ Sky TV/ BT to advise them? Then why not call HMRC to advise them.

I can guarantee that if someone was receiving weekly giro's from a gov't agency they would change their address as soon as possible after the event.

I personally don't want my address to be changed based on information supplied by a 3rd party, whether they be my employer or not. What if that information was sent, in error or even worse fraudulently?

People need to grow up and take responsibility for their own affairs instead of leaving it to other people.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 December 2010 at 2:59PM
    Options
    There seems to be a strange relationship between HMRC and some tax payers. I'm thinking about those people who have never had any direct communication with HMRC because all their tax has been simply collected via PAYE and possibly the only tax related paperwork they have ever seen is a P60 and maybe a P11D and a P45

I'm not sure in this type of case where HMRC would normally obtain the address for that type of tax payer ? And, I can understand why these people would never think about informing HMRC when they move home.

I agree though that this is not the fault of HMRC nor is it the fault of these tax payers, it is a shortcoming of the system.

This is HMRC's relevant info about who should need to inform HMRC when they change name or address : http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/report-changes/individual/name-address.htm

But how this requirement should be communicated to all tax payers is not clear to me ?

Edit: Although my P60 does include a comment in tiny text to inform me that I need to inform HMRC of any changes to personal info, if that info were more prominent on the P60 it could help.

Even the DirectGov website fails to mention HMRC on the main page about Moving Home - go figure ;)
    I guess that the Post Office could include HMRC in their info about moving home / redirecting mail, which may help too.
  • wotsthat
    wotsthat Posts: 11,325 Forumite
    Options
    BAA1 wrote: »
    I guess that the Post Office could include HMRC in their info about moving home / redirecting mail, which may help too.

Why? Isn't is obvious that when you move house you should inform the relevant people?
  • System
    Options
    wotsthat wrote: »
    Why? Isn't is obvious that when you move house you should inform the relevant people?

I've already said why - "I'm thinking about those people who have never had any direct communication with HMRC" - so no, it may not be obvious to that relatively large proportion of tax payers.

There are many many things you have to think about when moving house, so if you have never communicated with HMRC before, it would not be obvious that you should include HMRC on the list of people to inform.

If it were obvious, then this MSE article would never have been written, would it ?
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,005 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    100% agree - if you have never had any dealings with hmrc as a standard rate employee why should you think to update them with address changes.
    BAA1 wrote: »
    There seems to be a strange relationship between HMRC and some tax payers. I'm thinking about those people who have never had any direct communication with HMRC because all their tax has been simply collected via PAYE and possibly the only tax related paperwork they have ever seen is a P60 and maybe a P11D and a P45

I'm not sure in this type of case where HMRC would normally obtain the address for that type of tax payer ? And, I can understand why these people would never think about informing HMRC when they move home.

I agree though that this is not the fault of HMRC nor is it the fault of these tax payers, it is a shortcoming of the system.

This is HMRC's relevant info about who should need to inform HMRC when they change name or address : http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/report-changes/individual/name-address.htm

But how this requirement should be communicated to all tax payers is not clear to me ?

Edit: Although my P60 does include a comment in tiny text to inform me that I need to inform HMRC of any changes to personal info, if that info were more prominent on the P60 it could help.

Even the DirectGov website fails to mention HMRC on the main page about Moving Home - go figure ;)
    I think....
  • wotsthat
    wotsthat Posts: 11,325 Forumite
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    100% agree - if you have never had any dealings with hmrc as a standard rate employee why should you think to update them with address changes.

OK. If you think that you shouldn't have to update them who do you think should?

Are we talking about grown-ups here?
  • janinandover
    Options
    It's not just HMRC - Department of Work and Pensions also need to know.

When my late husband was ill in 2000 and his carers benefit was not appearing, I discovered when I chased DWP that the letters were going to an address he had last lived in thirty years before! They also seem to have two payment databases as when I reached pensionable age, they automatically started to pay my pension to my 2000 bank account, even though they my current details.
  • le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Options
    as when I reached pensionable age, they automatically started to pay my pension to my 2000 bank account, even though they my current details.
    So, you didn't get an advice and a questionnaire? They didn't give you a telephone number to get in touch about payment? They didn't ask you if you wanted it Weekly, four weekly etc.?
    Gawd knows how you got paid!
  • le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    So you don't get notices of coding? You wouldn't miss them if they were sent to your old address?
  • System
    Options
    wotsthat wrote: »
    OK. If you think that you shouldn't have to update them who do you think should?

Nobody has said that the individual shouldn't be responsible for informing HMRC and all other relevant organisations of changes to personal details.

But, any reasonable person must see that if the individual has never had cause to communicate with HMRC in the past, (or DWP or others), then it is not beyond the bounds of imagination that the individual may not consider the need to inform them, surely you can agree with that ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure