Multi fuel Stoves

Options

Comments

• Waterlily24
    Waterlily24 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks again everyone.

Ours was a fairly cheap fire. RoyalFire 12KW cast iron stove. Product code RF003CIS-12KW.

Hubby said that one of the bits is made out of stainless steel which he doesn't know where to go to get it made. The other bit is cast iron I think.

I have searched on the internet and not been able to find anything but my searching leaves a lot to be desired.

I did find someone selling smaller RoyalFire fires and emailed them to find out if they could give me any info but they haven't replied.

Couldn't find anything about the company at all. Still got the original label but the bottom bit has been torn off so not sure if there was an address there or not. It has got a Union Jack in one corner but I suppose that doesn't mean anything lol.
  • CakeCrusader
    CakeCrusader Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Options
    It's worth giving your chimney sweep a bell as he may know someone who can get hold/make a replacement. Mine gives the burner the once over as he's cleaning the chimney and will replace any broken bits.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sadly, if a cast iron bit is broken it will be difficult to get repaired - not many welders will touch it, I've found. In fact I once even had to scrap a Jotul stove (an expensive, Scandinavian brand) because I couldn't get it welded satisfactorily.

A quick Google search doesn't reveal anything about Royal other than that one retailer says they are made by a firm calling itself Ocean One - which doesn't return any results when searched for. My guess would be that it's just yet another identikit Chinese cast iron stove which an importer can buy in bulk and have whatever name he wants slapped on it.

Shop around for a decent stove from one of the recognised makers, would be my advice. You can still get a British made steel stove (a better choice) for not much more than a potentially dodgy Chinese import.
  • A._Badger
    Options
    It's worth giving your chimney sweep a bell as he may know someone who can get hold/make a replacement. Mine gives the burner the once over as he's cleaning the chimney and will replace any broken bits.

This is good advice. A helpful sweep is worth his weight in gold.
  • Waterlily24
    Options
    My hubby sweeps the chimney himself.
  • CakeCrusader
    Options
    My hubby sweeps the chimney himself.

You need a certified sweep as he's probably invalidating your house insurance by doing it himself. They don't just sweep it, they also check the condition of the flue, the burner, the bit on top of the chimney which keeps the birds from building a nest inside the chimney. It's a once a year job (depending on how much you use it), takes about 30 mins and they don't leave any mess. Mine costs £45 (it will vary depending on your location though). The back plate fell off mine a couple of years ago and it needed a part welding back on, he sorted this for £15. A good chimney sweep is worth their weight in gold. It's really not worth doing it yourself, especially as you do need a certificate.
  • A._Badger
    Options
    You need a certified sweep as he's probably invalidating your house insurance by doing it himself. They don't just sweep it, they also check the condition of the flue, the burner, the bit on top of the chimney which keeps the birds from building a nest inside the chimney. It's a once a year job (depending on how much you use it), takes about 30 mins and they don't leave any mess. Mine costs £45 (it will vary depending on your location though). The back plate fell off mine a couple of years ago and it needed a part welding back on, he sorted this for £15. A good chimney sweep is worth their weight in gold. It's really not worth doing it yourself, especially as you do need a certificate.

While I wholeheartedly agree with you about the value of a sweep, I am not sure what you are saying about insurance is always correct. This has come up on this forum in the past and no one could provide any evidence of an insurance company demanding a certificate (which not all professional sweeps offer anyway).

I can say for sure that despite changing insurance companies more or less every year, I have never had a policy dictate who can sweep my chimney. There may, of course, be exceptions but I can assure you it isn't in every policy.
  • CakeCrusader
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    While I wholeheartedly agree with you about the value of a sweep, I am not sure what you are saying about insurance is always correct. This has come up on this forum in the past and no one could provide any evidence of an insurance company demanding a certificate (which not all professional sweeps offer anyway).

I can say for sure that despite changing insurance companies more or less every year, I have never had a policy dictate who can sweep my chimney. There may, of course, be exceptions but I can assure you it isn't in every policy.

I was told this by the previous owners. I've looked online since reading your post and I can only find 'keep your property in reasonable care..', there's nothing specific in my policy other than this (something similar anyway). Sorry if I made anyone panic!!
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »

I'm fairly sure my insurance policy requires flues to be swept annually (would need to double check). But even if it doesn't, its a sure bet the insurance Co would try to wriggle out of paying a claim in the event of a chimney fire. For the sake of £45, I'd rather not give them the chance.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Waterlily24
    Options
    I know a lot of you will say tut tut but hubby fitted the fire himself including all the chimney stuff. It's been checked and signed off.

The lounge is an extension and the chimney was built for a multifuel burner. The annoying bit was that we weren't allowed to put the chimney brest on the outside of the building so it annoyingly sticks out in the lounge lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure