Removed water meter

Hi, I am after some advice as to what to do after the removal of my water meter.

Two years ago we bought our house with an existing water meter. after 12 months living there we moved out so major works on the house could be carried out. this involved extension, dormer extension and a total reworking of the layout in the existing house. as part of the work the existing water meter was to moved to a more convenient location and a new water supply put in.

During the building process we had a bust up with the builder and parted company. we got back on track with second builder and have recently completed the work. However on moving back in to the house I have just noticed that we no longer had a water meter!

I have asked both builders about it. The first has just ignored my messages and the second claims never to have seen it!

Where do I go from here? do I just call United Utilities and tell them the truth? or do I just keep paying my DD and keep quiet?

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Just doing nothing could work out very expensive.I'm guessing that at some point a meter reader will discover that it's missing and that's when the problems could start

You stand a good chance of getting a very inflated estimated bill if you don't get it sorted out and may end up responsible for the cost of re-installing another meter.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport